Thread: GOL test

Good Citizen

Default GOL test

Why did the V1 lose on the forward facing test? Also, on the standard radar test, at what range were the radar guns able to get a lock on the test vehical?

Power User

Forward test has nothing to do with the rear antenna...it has to do with the side lobes probably.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: GOL test

Quote Originally Posted by bigb3500
    Why did the V1 lose on the forward facing test? Also, on the standard radar test, at what range were the radar guns able to get a lock on the test vehical?
    Somewhere in the neighborhood of 486 ft. IIRC.

GTO_04

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by <<JAZZY>>
    Forward test has nothing to do with the rear antenna...it has to do with the side lobes probably.
    I didn't assume it had anything to do with the rear antenna, but what lobes are you talking about? I have seen the guts to a belscort, and I didn't see any lobes. Are these lobes part of a sensor that the wave guide directes signals to?

Radar Fanatic

Side lobes refer to the radiation pattern of an antenna. They are not the "innards" of an RD. Side lobes are just that, signal given off by the antenna to it's sides, at 90 degrees angles. Side lobes are weaker than the "main" lobe.

GTO_04

Banned

I no GOL test show different but v1 has the best foward detection in my opion thats just me tho :wink:

Lead Foot

Maybe the forward sensing test is being misunderstood and I say this because I didn't realize what it was in the beginning either.

The test is where the LEO is on an on ramp and clocking cars from the rear.
    This test is testing the alert of the cars behind the target vehicle picking up scatter off the target car or terrain.
    Now contrary to what most people have stated here in the past the V1 has a wider horn so this means it will not pick up the quote "off axes" signal as easy. Everyone always accuses the V1 of having the enormous off axes detection because it has a wide horn and it grabs the door openers more easily than the belscort units in the city, but it is just the opposite. The V1 has a wide horn and has a lesser ability for off axes but has much more sensitivity.
    Bottom line is the V1 is very well engineered and in my opinion the only choice in its price range. Does this mean other detectors are not a proper choice? No not at all! It all depends on what your driving habits you have, what features you want, and what price point and performance you wish to have. In this test it looks like the majority of RD's would have saved the driver from a violation excluding the STi with 33.8 and from memory not looking at the results at the moment one or two others on certain bands.

I would also like to add that this test doesn't reflect an instant on situation and from the POP results I would conclude the top performers for instant on would be the V1 and Whistler. Instant on is the most used tactic by LOE for quite some time.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by GTO_04

GTO_04
    So, did the LEO clock the test vehical on 33.8GHz BEFORE the STi alerted. :shock:

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by GTO_04

GTO_04
    So, did the LEO clock the test vehical on 33.8GHz BEFORE the STi alerted. :shock:
    Yes 7 out of 9 times.