Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default First impressions of new V1 3.861

Firstly, let me start out by stating I have always been a Belscort fan and as you can see I own the RX65 and the X50. Next, let me say that I am totally unbiased when it comes to detectors. All I am concerned with is performace. I just thought that I would put that out there because I know there are ZOMBIES in a lot of the high end detectors. I was always a little reluctant to pull the trigger and buy the V1 because of price, and have always heard it was false happy. I just could not justify paying the extra $100 for a detector that is very close in performance with other high end RD's.
    I drive over 40, 000 miles a year for work to and from Indiana to downtown Chicago. My detectors get a pretty good workout during this tenure and although I have owned the V1 for a very very short time, i must say that I am impressed so far. One of the main things that concerned me was the false alarms but I must say that it is a lot quieter than I thought. In the city it holds on to alerts longer but that is to be expected because of the rear antenna. Push come to shove I can disable the rear antenna in the city but I think I can live with it the way it is.
    My city runs CO Ka and K all the time so it did not take long to test the V1 in the city. It picked up Ka from a nice distance and picked up a second Ka bogey in the distance as well. Everything with the 2 Ka bogeys worked as designed (lock tone, bogey counter). I confirmed both bogeys thereafter (smile came to face). I run the V1 in A mode with X band and POP disabled.
    Lastly, I do have a few concerns about the V1. The first thing is the K band and Ka band tones. I think the tones are nice, but just sound too much alike in my opinion. Also, the V1's inability to light up the band that is being used. This posed a problem to me at night because I am not used to the sounds yet and had trouble distiguishing between bands. Maybe a Lifespeed mod will help in this regard if I don't get used to the sounds. I really don't understand why V1 does not have better band identification, because I know it has been requested. Over all, the arrows are very nice and the V1 seems to be a fine detector. I definitely hoped that I would keep the V1 after evaluating it, and it seems as if it is a keeper. Going to sell the X50 soon. Can't afford both.

Power User

It seems strange to me that some people find the K and Ka tones of the V1 almost the same. I've never had any problems hearing the difference between a brap and that nasty double brap Ka tone even when I was a rookie V1 user.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Speed Demon

I think when you first start out with the V1 it takes some adjusting to the tones. I know when I first got mine I had a bit of a hard time telling if I was getting a hit of K or Ka. But, for me after about 1 week of driving I knew what tones where what. Now I only look at the V1 to see where the arrow is pointing.

Aust3333 give yourself a week or so and you will know exactly which tone is which. Sounds like you drive a lot (like myself), so you will quickly get familiar with the tones.

CC

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by carboncopy
    I think when you first start out with the V1 it takes some adjusting to the tones. I know when I first got mine I had a bit of a hard time telling if I was getting a hit of K or Ka. But, for me after about 1 week of driving I knew what tones where what. Now I only look at the V1 to see where the arrow is pointing.

Aust3333 give yourself a week or so and you will know exactly which tone is which. Sounds like you drive a lot (like myself), so you will quickly get familiar with the tones.

CC
    Yeah, i guess it will take a little time to get used to but I am happy so far with the detector. The arrows are a nice touch. Gonna test it with my State Trooper friend (MPH Python Ka) and report back.

Radar Fanatic

yeah the lifespeed mod does help with the problem you are having with it at night. imo, its much quicker to identify the bands with the differnet color lights rather than identifying the sound (especially if you listen to loud music)

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by aust3333
    Quote Originally Posted by carboncopy

CC
    Yeah, i guess it will take a little time to get used to but I am happy so far with the detector. The arrows are a nice touch. Gonna test it with my State Trooper friend (MPH Python Ka) and report back.
    My V1's sweet spot on Ka band is 33.8 GHz and that's where the Python is. V1 should do very well against it.

ISP is switching over to the Kustom Golden Eagle II Ka radar, which runs at 35.5 GHz. Some of these have been spotted in the Indy metro area.

GTO_04

glad the V1 is working out for you. i too just switched from an x50 to V1. the arrows and the detection range is awesome. for me though it sucks in the city. i almost can't even use it. i have gotten the Bogey counter up to 7 a couple times! way too much k band around these parts.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by steelhammer
    glad the V1 is working out for you. i too just switched from an x50 to V1. the arrows and the detection range is awesome. for me though it sucks in the city. i almost can't even use it. i have gotten the Bogey counter up to 7 a couple times! way too much k band around these parts.

Wait until it goes up to 9.

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore
    Quote Originally Posted by steelhammer

Wait until it goes up to 9.
    bogey envy

ES13Raven

Default Re: First impressions of new V1 3.861

Quote Originally Posted by aust3333
    I run the V1 in A mode with X band and POP disabled.
    If you are getting X band alerts with X band disabled, please report it in this thread: http://www.radardetector.net/viewtopic.php?t=22978