Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Can I use hardware from previous detector?

I previously had a car stereo place wire my Cobra 9120 which is now gone. The wire obviously still remains and I was wondering if it is safe to plug into my V1? I'm kinda sure I could wire it myself, but hell who knows?

Professional

The V1 uses RJ11 (phone) type jacks. Your Cobra wiring won't work with it. You can re-wire it yourself...it's not that hard. Just pull the old wire and put the new wire in the same place and wire it in to wherever the old one was wired.

Good Citizen

Ok I took apart my map lights earlier and it seems the car stereo place that hardwired my Cobra made the splice very high in the wiring. Meaning, if I take apart their wires, I'm afraid I won't be able to install my V1 and get my map lights working correctly.

Can I cut off the bulk of the Cobra wiring and just splice the V1's hardwire wire into that? The Cobra wiring is just a coiled cord with Red (power) and Black (ground).

It would be so much easier if I could just tap the V1 hardwire into the existing Cobra wiring.

Professional

Your V1 will come with a hardwire jack. You can use the existing wiring for power only. Just cut the end off the Cobra plug and use it for power. Don't cut the V1's acutal power cord (looks like a phone cord), but the hardwire plug's power cord. When you see the wiring kit that comes with the V1, what I'm saying will make more sense.

Good Citizen

So like:

V1 -> RJ11 Jack to "Power Adapter" -> "Power Adapter" to Cobra wiring splice?

Where the hell does the ground wire go?

Old Timer

I dont think all hardwires work with the v1. With the x50 hardwire plugged into the v1, it will not change modes.

Radar Fanatic

the ground goes to either the negative earth wire the cobra should have one!

or connect it to the cars chassis, or some cars have near the fuse box a row of spade type things which is bolted or screwed to the cars bulkhead ''earth'' and you can slide a crimp connector on them!

or you can use the earth wire to your car stereo most earth or negative wires are black but they can be brown or some other colours depending on make of cars etc...

your cig lighter will have a earth wire and also the interior light!

and many other things on the car..

for a good earth you can always connect it straight to the battery!
    same goes for the positive, many people connect them to the car battery so they get a good reliable conection!

Good Citizen

I had the Cobra tapped into the map lights. Red to power and black to ground.

I'm just asking if I can snip most of the Cobra wire off, but enough that I can attach the V1 wire kit to it?

I looked at the picutre on Mike's parts site but it wasn't too helpful. I don't want to use the cigarette lighter, I just want to hook up the V1 to the old wiring provided by my Cobra, minus the Cobra's 12V DC plug obviously.

Radar Fanatic

Sure, why not? That sounds kosher to me.

Radar Fanatic

same here i cant see why not...

as long as you connect positive to positive and negative to negative!