Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default is rear window mount location bad?

I know i'm probably going to get flamed for this...but i tried searching and couldn't come up with anything.

I know the front windshield is "ideal" but has there been tests on a rear window mount? Basically i want to hard wire the V1 and install the remote. I just don't want the V1 in my front window incase I do get pulled over for whatever reason. (cop mentality: Detector + speeding = ticket, not warning) . Plus, i like clean installs and don't want to see it or try hiding it infront of my rearview mirror.

So...the question: Is mounting in the rear window really that bad? I understand that the forward signal may be slightly decreased....but radar is also shot from behind, wouldn't rear detection increase?

thanks in advance for your help.

Scratonicity Groupie

Tricky question and I would say that is a big NO. Instant ON is becoming a bigger threat everyday and to sacrifice that for a clean install no way.

You could get your thinking hat on and fabricate something you could mount on the roof of your car forward of the visor or the rearview mirror. Then hardwire it in.

Odds are that will be plenty stealthy enough and you get the satisfaction of having the best RD working its best for you

And to beat it all the V1 would probably lose all of its laser detecting ability.

Quote Originally Posted by thestaton
    Tricky question and I would say that is a big NO. Instant ON is becoming a bigger threat everyday and to sacrifice that for a clean install no way.

And to beat it all the V1 would probably lose all of its laser detecting ability.
    are these guesses? or has there been testing to prove reduced performance?

Radar Fanatic

Still the slickest setup that I have ever seen was the M3 Lidatek and Stealth V1 Install with the V1 mounted on back dash.

http://www.talktax.com/lidatek-V1%20install/

Scratonicity Groupie

wow that guy is my hero. what a beautiful beautiful install.

and no everything I suggested was just an educated guess.

Default Re: is rear window mount location bad?

as of right now i don't have a front plate.... which is illegal as we all know. Would VEIL work well enough on my front lights. Unintentionally I i think i have a pretty decent anti-lazer front end. I blacked a lot of things out don't have fogs, and don't have the front plate as mentioned.

I know i'm a noob here and probably asking some generic questions for this forum. I know VEIL is probably my cheapest option... but in conjunction with the V1 i'm sure it couldn't hurt. What lazer/jammer system would be reccommended to go with a V1?

then again..the big question was if there are any actual tests regarding a rear window mounted V1?

nice car....have fun

Advanced Member

Well if you absolutely get caught without the frontplate and(which i doubt you will just go with the laser sheild plate cover...VEIL would work wonders on your headlights due to the dark color of your car, as for a Jammer I would wait till the beginning of August till after all the testing is done. Lidatek laser jammer would give you a very stealth install if you are going for the hidden look.

I haven't see any test about mounting the V1 on the rear window but hardly anyone does that.

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Speed Demon

Maybe that's an option for the Happya$$, Outrun, and Friends testing on 7/16? Mounting the V1, X50, etc in the back window and testing radar/laser alerts.

Scratonicity Groupie

Sounds like a great idea robert!!! lets forward them this excellent idea immediatly

--staton