Thread: K-Band

Default K-Band

What can set off a K alert other then a cop? I sometimes find that it will false when I approach a traffic light. Is this common?
    :shock:

Speed Demon

If there are some door openers nearby maybe, but not likely the traffic light.

Radar Fanatic

the sensors on lights at crossings are k ku and ka!
    thats in the uk!

you can buy pir sensors which use k and x band microwave !

if you type in k band pir sensor on google there are many places which sell x k band microwave sensors which can trigger radar detectors as they use the exact frequency!

Model 320SL is a dual (stacked) perimeter microwave intrusion detection system designed for protection of high risk assets. The lower link, typically mounted between 12 and 18 inches (300 to 460mm) above grade,is a Southwest Microwave Model 310B. This link operates at K-band frequency (24.125 GHz) to provide a very narrow detection pattern that has been optimized to detect a slow prone crawling intruder (30cm standard metal sphere radar target). The upper Iink, mounted between 30 and 40 inches (0.7 to 1m) above grade, is a Southwest Microwave Model 300B. Operating at X-band frequency (10.525 GHz), this link provides a medium width detection pattern designed to detect a walking, running, or jumping intruder.

problems can arise when you get people using k band sensors indoors! radar can goe through brick walls !

so this is a reason why sometimes you cant find the cause of an alert!

Superb Detection Through K-Band Technology - K-Band microwave technology delivers sharp detection without holes or weak spots. The custom made source offers pattern shaping to fill the protected area with a broad, balloon-shaped pattern which matches the PIR pattern. It also offers pattern containment to reduce the penetration of microwave energy through walls.

DT-7450/DT-7450C DualTec Motion Sensor, 24.125 GHz
    DT-7450EU DualTec Motion Sensor, 24.125 GHz (Europe)
    DT-7450UK DualTec Motion Sensor, 24.200 GHz (UK only)

honeywell make them!

Good Citizen

Which raises a question I have: Can a LEO operate a K-band (or any other band) radar accurately in an area with known falses? I understand that's the reason for the bogey counter, but does the K-band signal from a radar gun have a signature that is interpreted from the gun when it bounces off an object?

Or does it have a filter to block out falses? I would imagine it receives the same falses a radar detector would, no?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Speeder_757
    Which raises a question I have: Can a LEO operate a K-band (or any other band) radar accurately in an area with known falses? I understand that's the reason for the bogey counter, but does the K-band signal from a radar gun have a signature that is interpreted from the gun when it bounces off an object?

Or does it have a filter to block out falses? I would imagine it receives the same falses a radar detector would, no?
    It can be operated with pretty good accuracy, even in an area with some known false alerts. A regular stationary radar gun is looking for a return that is a number of Hz or kHz above the transmitting frequency. Unless a false alert source is within this window, it will not interfere. Even two motion sensors spec'd at the same frequency are usually off by at least a number of MHz, and it is very difficult to make them interfere, even if manually tuned to do so against a specific radar gun. There's really a very small chance of interference. However, this still might make a good argument in court...

Jim

Radar Fanatic

roy was asked if 2 radar guns were firing at the same car would they interfere with each other..... he said that he's never experienced bad operation!!

theres a post somewhere on the forum about it!

Professional

The MPH K-55 I have has an RFI light. I've seen it come on when I used a 2 way radio in the car. I also have heard a change in the sound of the doppler audio when driving into an area with a near field RF signal. I never thought to see if the function or readings were affected.

Ed