Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default V1 not detecting?

So I got a V1 and the remote module with my car and for some reason it doesn't seem to detect that well. It goes off every now and then but for the most part it is silent. I have seen plenty of cops and it didn't even go of one those things that tell you your speed. I set the mode to A and volume is maxed out and I know it works since it goes crazy every now and then. I read V1s are notorious for false alerts and so far I get a one alert if I am lucky. Any ideas?

Power User

Maybe it has a 9500i in that big case instead of the v1 board.

But really I have no idea. Hit some cvs pharmacies and stuff. Give it at least a few days to a week before you send it in.

Power User

Default Re: V1 not detecting?

Quote Originally Posted by cloud_171
    I have seen plenty of cops and it didn't even go of one those things that tell you your speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Valentine
    The failure to alert to a particular speed sign might have one of
    several causes:

1) The speed sign may employ an FM-CW modulation technique to sense the direction of vehicles in its field of view. This feature is used to isolate departing from oncoming traffic. The V1 does not recognize FM-CW modulation as a valid police radar signal and tries to reject it. FM-CW is allowed for license-free "Part 15" devices by the FCC. FM-CW is not allowed for police radar. There are numerous traffic-volume sensors using FM-CW spread all around metropolitan areas these days that detector owners would rather not produce an alert. Otherwise freeway driving (in Cincinnati, at least) would be very annoying. It's a good thing that the V1 rejects FM-CW modulated signals.

2) The speed sign may have drifted out of the police radar band from aging or temperature. "Part 15" devices are somewhat notorious for this behavior. Automatic door sensors and Doppler security sensors are both "Part 15" devices, too. Few automatic door sensors use FM-CW because of the added expense. The speed sign devices can afford the added cost of including the FM-CW modulating hardware.

3) The V1 in question may need for our service department to have a look at it to make sure it is operating correctly.

Radar Fanatic

Not every cop has a Radar unit.

Not every cop that has a radar unit keeps it on.

V1 = Radar detector, not cop detector.

Quote Originally Posted by bauzer71487
    Not every cop has a Radar unit.

Not every cop that has a radar unit keeps it on.

V1 = Radar detector, not cop detector.
    I know that...just that it is ridiculously quiet and I have yet to hear any false alerts. I keep reading V1s are sensitive and are known for false alerts.

Advanced Member

If you're concerned that it isn't working properly, send it to Valentine Research for a check-up.

Professional

I know that...just that it is ridiculously quiet and I have yet to hear any false alerts. I keep reading V1s are sensitive and are known for false alerts.
    False alerts=bad term.

V-1 is very sensitive, yes. It picks up radar frequencies that are shared with door openers, etc. Same as police radar. So not really a "false". V-1 lets you, the educated driver, decide what is true police radar or a door opener. V-1, as you know, has ample information on its display to help you.

Read about the 9500i.....and it's lockout feature. It is not working so well, I read and hear. I, the educated driver, would rather decide what is a threat or not and not "lockout" ANY police radar frequency.

Good luck.

ES13Raven

Quote Originally Posted by icantdrive55
    False alerts=bad term.
    No it is not. That term is fine to use.

Just don't use terms like "false signal" or "false radar". People purchase radar detectors to detect police radar. Anything else is a false alarm, false alert or "false" for short.

Manufactures, resellers, industry people and consumers all use this terminology. Trying to get everyone not to is futile. :wink:

Professional

I disagree.

Detectors (technology) made to detect specific freqs. Not cops. Wouldnt it be nice to have something to pick up police officer's badges...etc?

But that is what makes this place and the USA a great place! Can debate without getting pelted with water cannons or rubber bullets!

(i just found his comments of "known for false alerts" funny. why buy a unit if one feels it "falses" alot?)

ES13Raven

Quote Originally Posted by icantdrive55
    I disagree.
    Detectors (technology) made to detect specific freqs. Not cops.
    I am not disputing that they are made to detect certain freqs and are not "cop detectors", but people buy them to detect police radar. Anything other than police radar is a false alarm.

(i just found his comments of "known for false alerts" funny. why buy a unit if one feels it "falses" alot?)
    The V1 is known for being quite chatty but having excellent range - and that includes additional false alerts. The V1 is more sensitive than most radar detectors and has front & rear antennas so you get twice the alerts.

I regularly get 1/8 signal strength false alerts in places where other detectors do not get them.

Its up to the user if they can live with this in the city, where there are a lot of false alerts.

To me, the arrows are worth it.