Good Citizen

Default KU Mode and KA Performance?

Saw mention on this site about the possibility of KU becoming used in the USA, however I also saw mention of how at the SML tests, the KU units had problems so they weren't tested.

.. so just to be paranoid in case they DO start using KU at some point in the near future, and be prepared, I'm thinking of turning on KU coverage on my V1... will this in anyone's opinion degrade the KA performance, making it unwise to turn on KU until its confirmed in use? I would assume it MIGHT slightly hamper performance since the unit would be scanning additional frequencies...?

Thanks

-Sal

Speed Demon

Leave Ku off because it is like X band because of the falsing that occurs. It will not hamper your Ka band performance but it will make your V1 alert more than it should so just leave it off until you hear from people from RadarDetector.Net and Radar Roy about its usage.

Professional

I enabled Ku on my V1 and drove around for a day. I got a couple of falses, so until I hear for sure that there's Ku band units in LEO use, I'm leaving it turned off.

Ed

Good Citizen

Thanks for the info

I have Ku on (as I'm in the UK and minigatso units use Ku) and I get no Ku false alerts at all (in fact I'm yet to experience a minigatso, so have never actually heard the Ku beep, and that's with 3 years V1 experience.

Radar Fanatic

some traffic lights operate on ku and k and also ka band!

with there not being an led for ku band it may well be that you have had a ku band but you may have thought that it was k band!

as far as i know if you get a ku alert some people on here say that the little led in the bogey counter lights up aswell as the k band led!

until i get one myself i cant say what it does! obviously vr know so i might give them a bell just to check....

i'm dieing to get one but i'm put off by..... the uk detector ban, and that the v1 is detectable by the spectre!