Radar Fanatic

Default Mega k-band false on some crappy RD

On my drive home this afternoon I started getting an intermittent K-band alert, which never happens. I figured it must be a LEO, right? Well, I kept moving through traffic as it ramped up over the course of 3 or 4 miles which told me I must be creeping up on the source, whatever it is. (I got all excited when I saw a pair of SC staties on the opposite side but knew they weren't the source when the arrow kept pointing ahead.) Eventually the thing went full-scale on one K-band source and the arrows turned around. So I look to my right and there's this red minivan, some guy talking on his cell, and some crappy RD that I didn't recognize stuck to the windshield. The arrows pointed to the side, right at him, and then behind as I passed. I eventually got the idea to turn off POP, and the alert did go away. I was a quarter mile ahead of him by that time but the signal was so strong I ought to have been within range still.

I'm surprised. I've seen this kind of thing on Ka, but never K. Could I have found one of those old Uniden RDs? I know, I know..."turn off POP!" Today was the first time it gave me trouble in two weeks. Off now, though.

**EDIT**
    After looking through a few dozen pictures, the only thing that comes close to looking like what I was is a plain-old Cobra XRS****. I definitely would have expected a Ka false from that.

Radar Fanatic

There are some Crapras that will cause K band alerts. I have seen the smaller ones, with the black case, emit K band RFI, but there may be others.

Some Unidens may cause X and K non radar alerts. I have seen the Stalkers cause X band alerts.

GTO_04

Speed Demon

Ive owned 3 different Unidens and none of them leaked quite that bad, but there are a lot of models I've not used, so its possible it was a Uniden. I'm looking at getting a couple old Unidens as toys to mess with, comparison, leak tests, range, etc etc, they should be cheap and it should be entertaining for a couple days.

One Uniden I owned, the 6299SWS leaked only JUST enough to throw a false when i would pull right behind a friend of mine, or when he would pull right behind me (he had a 6399SWS). Whoever was behind would cause the one in front to spit out an X or K, only like a 1 in strength, really weak, but there, but NEVER like 100s of feet away, makes me really curious what it was.

I had the opposite, the valentine 1 set off a cobra on a full ka alert.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by GTO_04
    There are some Crapras that will cause K band alerts. I have seen the smaller ones, with the black case, emit K band RFI, but there may be others.
    The one I caught did have a black case. The plastic piece over the display looked like it formed a "cap" that extended something like a half inch forward, as opposed to just a flat piece of plastic across the end. I'm wondering if it may have had some kind of defect to increase the leakage, cause it was absolutely screaming. Between that and the cell phone the driver must have been pretty well cooked.