Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: v1 and the sun

  1. #1
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    3

    Default v1 and the sun

    i was wondering if anyone knew whether or not the v1 can be left in the mount attached to the windshield in the sun. i do this if i'm out of the car for only a few minutes and the v1 gets incredibly hot. wondering if people leave theirs up. also wondering if something were to happen if the warranty would cover it. another question, how does the suction mount do in the heat. is there much of a chance that it will release and drop the v1. i have it hardwired so i think it would just dangle, but still don't want to risk anything breaking.

    ps i'm still on vacation but will post pics of the modified concealed display later this week as well as toss a couple up on ebay.

  2. #2
    Lead Foot
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    476

    Default

    there is alot of post about this subjet you should do a Search, but most people will tell you NOT to left you unit in the car

  3. #3
    Old Timer
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,806

    Default

    My V1 stays in the car, but it's inside a visor pouch, not suctioned to the windshield. Therefore the sun stays off it, but it still gets hot in the car.

    I've had no heat related problem with either of my V1s mounted this way.

    But if it's suctioned to the windshield, I'd take it off, not only because of the sun but because of the risk of a break-in.
    If I'm passing you on the right, YOU are in the wrong lane!

    If speed kills, how come I'm still alive?

    Active Countermeasures: V1 3.858, Escort Redline, Beltronics STi-R+, LI Dual 7.1x CPU/8.7 Heads (front)
    Other/Backup Countermeasures: V1 3.813 (loaned to friend), Beltronics Pro RX65 M4 6.3
    Vehicle: 2002 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
    LEO Toys: Kustom Pro Laser II & III
    Encounters/Saves August 2011: Radar 3/1, Laser 0/0


  4. #4
    Good Citizen
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Almost the Stix, VA
    Posts
    111

    Default

    I usually take it down unless it's early evening or later. The unit does get hot, but seems to not affect the performance. The suction cup holder does not appear to lose its adhesive quality due to the sun and resulting heat. For what its worth, I'd take the unit out of the windshield just to be safe.

  5. #5
    Lead Foot
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    446

    Default

    I have 2 V1's. Both never leave the windshield and I been doing this since 1992. Never had an issue with the heat. You are right when you say they get hot because I have felt the V1's a few times after a day in the sun but it has never caused me any problems.

  6. #6
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    5,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by itisjustme
    I have 2 V1's. Both never leave the windshield and I been doing this since 1992.
    I am amazed they haven't been stolen..... :shock:

    You're either very lucky or live in a very low crime area

  7. #7
    Good Citizen
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pennsville, NJ
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the horn13
    Quote Originally Posted by itisjustme
    I have 2 V1's. Both never leave the windshield and I been doing this since 1992.
    I am amazed they haven't been stolen..... :shock:

    You're either very lucky or live in a very low crime area
    I've had mine on my winshield since November 2000. Been off twice. Once last year on a trip to Canada, second time was doe to an upgrade from 1.7 to 1.8.

  8. #8
    Lead Foot
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the horn13
    Quote Originally Posted by itisjustme
    I have 2 V1's. Both never leave the windshield and I been doing this since 1992.
    I am amazed they haven't been stolen..... :shock:

    You're either very lucky or live in a very low crime area
    Yes I live in what has always been a low crime area in the past. I will now call it a medium crime area in the last few years and I am afraid it will only continue to get worse. So far I havnt lost my V1's. Both vehicles are equiped with alarms and that is a deterent. The other cars without security on the street are easier targets.

  9. #9
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Staffordshire, Uk
    Posts
    1,999

    Default

    i dont know if this varies by state but if your cars parked on your own property then you could go out and shoot the scum! as i know i dont think there is any stante which doesnt allow this! i know in texas anythin goes!

    where as in the uk, guns are seriously banned and uptil now any violent force used against some robber or murderer etc would have you convicted in fact you'd get sent down longer then the offender, even though he may have been trying to kill you!

    because there was recently a spate intruders killing people and home owners didnt know how far they could go to protect themselves,
    some nice top cheif policeman said he'd be reviewing the law so that people wouldnt get ''locked'' up for protecting themselves!

    but there has been no cast iron guarantee that if i killed or didnt serious harm to some nutter on my property or in my house i wouldnt get locked up!

    the uk law still says use reasonable force! then we wonder why the uk has a crime problem!

  10. #10
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,817

    Default

    Mike told me in an e-mail that it is OK electrically to leave V1 on the windshield. However, he did not recommend leaving it there due to the possibility of theft.

    If you leave it on the windshield, keep an eye on those suction cups though.

    Didn't I read somewhere on this forum that there is a way to bring the suction cups back to life?

    GTO_04

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •