Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Experienced

Default V1 theft prevention questions

Apart from putting the V1 away from sight, is it necessary to hide the wires as well?

I'm going to put the V1 in my glove box when I'm away from my car. Is there any risk when you enter a parking structure and the guy behind you can see the V1? He may be tempted to break into your car when you are not around. Thanks!

Experienced

Geez, where do you live? I'm fortunate to live in an area where I usually don't have to be concerned about such things. The primary reason I take mine down is to keep it out of the sun. If stealth is a priority, mount high and hardwire. Take the detector (along with suction cups) down and hide the wire behind the rear view mirror. However, if someone sees you with the V1 as you drive in and is intent on stealing it, then there is nothing you can really do.

Professional

Default Re: V1 theft prevention questions

Quote Originally Posted by a529612
    Apart from putting the V1 away from sight, is it necessary to hide the wires as well?

I'm going to put the V1 in my glove box when I'm away from my car. Is there any risk when you enter a parking structure and the guy behind you can see the V1? He may be tempted to break into your car when you are not around. Thanks!

Very much of a concern, depending on what part of the city you live in. After getting my dads truck broken into going to the local mall, stealing my X50, 12 gauge Shotgun, my dad's glock that was locked under the seat. We believe that it was a car that was tailgating us on the way up to the mall and he ended up pulling in the same parking lot. You just can never trust anyone.

Experienced

I work in downtown Detroit and live in the suburb. Maybe I should remove the V1 before I exit the highway and enter the city? Anything can happen in that ghetto.

BTW, is it possible to turn down the display to a really low level so no one can see it from behind unless he deliberately looks for it?

Professional

The only time i leave mine in my car is at work. I take it down before i reach work and dont put it back up until i've left. I also hide the wires. Better safe than sorry.

even though I live in the middle of a farm town (my university) and have never lived in a big city, theft is not really a concern for me. However, even so, I still take down my V1 for theft deterrence as well as getting it out of the sun. The only thing visible in my car are the radio headunit (nothing fancy), and my XM skyfi 2.

Experienced

You could try getting a concealed (remote) display for the V1. You could mount that out of direct (i.e. with instrument cluster). You could also make/purchase a concealed case that straps to the visor.

Personally, I would just hardwire it as high as you can and get the concealed display. The main V1 unit will be completely dark and most people won't know that it is an RD just looking at it from behind.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by a529612
    BTW, is it possible to turn down the display to a really low level so no one can see it from behind unless he deliberately looks for it?
    I do not think that the V1 can be "programmed" to do that... however, I would take pronacyk's advice; just get a concealed display, it works very nice. I had the Band & Signal Strength LED's changed by REBinc and it looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by pronacyk
    You could try getting a concealed (remote) display for the V1. You could mount that out of direct (i.e. with instrument cluster). You could also make/purchase a concealed case that straps to the visor.

Personally, I would just hardwire it as high as you can and get the concealed display. The main V1 unit will be completely dark and most people won't know that it is an RD just looking at it from behind.
    in my opinion the concealed display just make things worse .
    before i had it, my V1 mounted high...if someone took a glance into the car he coudnt know i have a V1. now it is very easy. the Concealed display is in my dash ....

Good Citizen

The remote makes mine virtually invisible. I have the RD up behind the very dark tint strip (the unit just peeks below the strip, but the suction cups are totally invisible)

My remote (modified for multi color) is deep in my dash cluster & cannot be seen at all through my dark tinted windows.

~John