Default New V1 Owner - Arrows reversed

Good Evening everyone!

I am the proud new owner of a Valentine V1 1.7. I've owned it less than 48 hours and already LOVE it! I have a question though. I currently have it mounted in my Ford Excursion. Its a VERY large SUV with it mounted to the right of the rear view mirror. It works great. I have the coiled cord plugged into the DC outlet and an RJ11 (phone cord) hidden around to the steering column where my concealed display lives. (Love the concealed display.)

Today around 3, I was headed down a 4 lane street. I was approaching a stop light in the left turn lane. Across from me in the opposite right turn lane was a Leawood Police Officer. (In his patrol car.) My V1 had alerted me to the K band before I saw him, but the BEHIND arrow was lit. He was almost directly in front of me - maybe 20 ft away. Once I turned left, a few other cars followed me, then he turned behind them. So, I'm traveling with him about 100 ft back and 4 cars in between us. Once I turned, the FRONT arrow had turned on and the behind arrow has turned off. (The left/right) arrows were on for a brief moment somewhere in there.)

What could be wrong with my V1? I haven't had it long enough to duplicate the problem, but this was a little frustrating.

Speed Demon

Mine does it to, send it in and hope for the best, soemtimes v-1 techs cant fix certain probs and will lie about it...
    This is what I have learned with the older 3812 version...
    Ohh and after you send it in once, dont send it back a second time unless its like a year and or out of tune again.... :wink:
    cya

Professional

same prob i had, sent it back and got replaced.

Lead Foot

Default Re: New V1 Owner - Arrows reversed

Quote Originally Posted by qwertmonkey
    Good Evening everyone!

Today around 3, I was headed down a 4 lane street. I was approaching a stop light in the left turn lane. Across from me in the opposite right turn lane was a Leawood Police Officer. (In his patrol car.) My V1 had alerted me to the K band before I saw him, but the BEHIND arrow was lit. He was almost directly in front of me - maybe 20 ft away. Once I turned left, a few other cars followed me, then he turned behind them. So, I'm traveling with him about 100 ft back and 4 cars in between us. Once I turned, the FRONT arrow had turned on and the behind arrow has turned off. (The left/right) arrows were on for a brief moment somewhere in there.)

what i understand , he was facing your car and making a left turn [ your right ] and you were making a left turn [ his right ] so i hope this is right .. but question for you ... how many bogy that you were showing .. number of alert ?

some time its normal to have scenarios like that so to early for you to ask those sort of question ... i would recomand to play around with it and don't worry about sending it IN ... this is new so it should work and some time it takes time to adjust and you need to adjust to the environment off where you are using your V1 thats a major factor .. get use to your V1 first and then get paranoid :-)

Good Citizen

It happens to me that way too sometimes. My v.3818 will display the reverse of the radar's true location, usually at close range. I think it's caused by the V1 receiving a REFLECTED signal that is stronger than the primary signal it is able to receive. Radio waves can do strange things, and if something is blocking or diffusing the direct beam aimed in your general direction then a signal reflected back at you by a good reflector might be the stronger of the two radar sources.

John in Central Florida

Power User

Yeah, the triangulation (biangulation?) is not failproof, though from the vids I've seen of the V1 it's impressively reliable most of the times.

It's quite possible on rare encounters to see inaccurate direction reporting caused by obstructions or reflections.

Are you sure you aren't mounting where the radar horn(s) are obstructed by solid objects or metallic coatings? i.e. Rule out metallic tints / instaclear.

Default Re: New V1 Owner - Arrows reversed

Quote Originally Posted by qwertmonkey
    Good Evening everyone!

I am the proud new owner of a Valentine V1 1.7. I've owned it less than 48 hours and already LOVE it! I have a question though. I currently have it mounted in my Ford Excursion. Its a VERY large SUV with it mounted to the right of the rear view mirror. It works great. I have the coiled cord plugged into the DC outlet and an RJ11 (phone cord) hidden around to the steering column where my concealed display lives. (Love the concealed display.)

What could be wrong with my V1? I haven't had it long enough to duplicate the problem, but this was a little frustrating.
    Hi quertmonkey,

Does your Ford Excursion's front windshield have an athermic coating on it? If so, then that coating blocks radar and would explain why your V1's rear arrow was lit up from radar which entered your vehicle through the side windows or possibly through the rear window. Check your vehicle's user manual and see if there is any mention of an athermic coating and whether or not there is a clear (non-athermic) section of the front window for mounting stuff like radar detectors, GPS devices, and toll road electronics boxes.

Good Citizen

4 lane street with building with lots of windows??????