Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New V1, out of box power ups with P in display during boot u

Just purchased a new V1 after reading article on this forum and various other reviews :roll: . Used it 3 weeks, disappointed with sensitivity as I find it no diffrent than my STI driver with 33.8 fix :cry: . Upon closer inspection I found my unit with s/n 65 12020930 powers up with a P on display during the boot up sequence. Understand it should only happen if the factor default settings have been changed . I have not changed any thing. Believe this is a return from some one else and sold as new. Planning on returning before my 30 days is up, unless other have a diffrent suggestion. :x

Professional

I think that means that POP is enabled, which is a factory default. If it gets an "E", thats when you should worry.

Good Citizen

If you plan on keeping the V1 you can complain and tell them that you got a 'used' unit and possibly get $39 back since you purchased new for $399.

V1 usually sells their returned 30 day trial V1's from other people with a discount for $360.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinZX-10R
    I think that means that POP is enabled, which is a factory default. If it gets an "E", thats when you should worry.
    if pop is enabled then it will say P-O-P. go into programming mode and make sure all the arrows are up and the P should go away

Old Timer

turn it off

Power User

Default Re: New V1, out of box power ups with P in display during bo

Quote Originally Posted by jmaniyat
    Just purchased a new V1 after reading article on this forum and various other reviews :roll: . Used it 3 weeks, disappointed with sensitivity as I find it no diffrent than my STI driver with 33.8 fix :cry: . Upon closer inspection I found my unit with s/n 65 12020930 powers up with a P on display during the boot up sequence. Understand it should only happen if the factor default settings have been changed . I have not changed any thing. Believe this is a return from some one else and sold as new. Planning on returning before my 30 days is up, unless other have a diffrent suggestion. :x
    You would not be the first to confuse the P o P as just showing P.

What else does the display flash, if the defaults have been changed, there are other indicators that flash along with the single P display.

As far as your subjective review goes, it is just that, subjective.

Of the premium detectors STi, 9500, V1, they are all in the same rankings.

But to each there own, by all means return the unit, someone else is bound to enjoy it.

Radar Fanatic

Still amazes me, a $400 detector that you have to figure out what has been changed.....unbelievable. Look for this dot, look for that dot, which way is the arrow pointing, up or down?? A $39 Cobra, obviously no good at picking up radar, can spell out what mode it's in. I've got a $25 (Eb*y) Whistler 1793SE that is infintely more user friendly than a $400 detector. No, I hardly use it. When is MV going to make the V1 have a modern display???

Power User

*shrug* I am pretty neutral about this. The V1 definitely has one of the most involved programming interfaces, but I don't think it's any more difficult to use AS LONG AS you have the lab report chart printed out and handy. It's just a matter of toggling options up and down like DIP switches. I own two Whistler detectors with menu-operated configuration menus, and I honestly don't find them any easier to use, except that I don't need to pull out a manual to use them.

One thing I do like about the V1's interface is that there is ONE button to manipulate it with, which makes it brain-dead simple to reach over while driving and change A/L modes, mute the detector , or adjust the two volume levels without taking eyes off the road. My Whistlers and Cobra all have at least 4 buttons on them, and to be honest it's quite confusing which button does what, and I've found several times in the heat of the moment attempting to mute the detector I've sent it into a menu or some odd mode.

Thanks folks, on closer inspection, I do see the 0 after the P, I guess that means POP is ON. I do agree with the previous post, it is difficult even for a seasoned engineer and pilot like me to figure out the display!!. I cannot tell weather the radar alarm is an X or K band at night when most of my driving is these days. Just beeps the same note and flashes the same color LED's for the bands, spaced so close to each other that I cannot tell them apart. I do see the logic that if they want to keep the hardware all the same to make even the first unit sold upgradable, the display cannot be fully changed out or rearranged. However this user interface could use a serious upgrade, it is all 1930's technology (LED's all same color close to each other, similar beeps for this and that) still being sold in the 21's century as far as user interface. I have written user interfaces for computer systems with limited display space, but this product is absurd. ALL scientific instruments sold these days have moved into the 21's century with a nice, intutive, user friendly interface, except MV's instrument for radar situiational awarness!! I am returning mine for my money back and getting a second STI driver. It has the same practical sensitivity for radar in real life applications, with a far more user friendly user interface and stealth with patents around it that I do not think VR will crack. I predict the STI driver will hold value better than the VI in the future with the same protection from speed traps.

Power User

Ok, first off, they the X and K tones are not the same frequency -- their tonal qualities are very different and, for me at least, easily discernable. Of course, I am a piano player with perfect pitch so YMMV.

Also, I frankly don't think the STI's poorly designed 2-rate ramp up is any less a sin than the V1's poor Band ID display.

And how is the display hard to figure out? There's a counter, arrows, and a bar at the bottom, and a tone to listen for.

Anyway, the STI's a good detector too, and no device satisfies everyone. Good luck with whichever detector you like best