Good Citizen

Default Thinkin about a V1... have a few questions.

I live in upstate NY, and do mostly cityish driving. I have a xtr-690 and it falses a few on my daily drive but still quiet.

I was wondering, if i chose a V1, would the K-Band auto mute to 4 bars strength be dangerous to turn on? And also does it mute for 30 seconds (what if the strength goes up faster than 30 seconds, will it alert then?) or until its over 4 bars? or until one of the 2 happends?
    Also i hear alot of people turning off rear K-Band. Why is that?

thanks for the advise

Power User

Default Re: Thinkin about a V1... have a few questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex0dus36
    I live in upstate NY, and do mostly cityish driving. I have a xtr-690 and it falses a few on my daily drive but still quiet.

I was wondering, if i chose a V1, would the K-Band auto mute to 4 bars strength be dangerous to turn on?
    Nah, it just lowers the volume of an incoming K-band alert until it reaches 4 bars. I bet the 4-bar sensitivity of the V1 is still higher than the XTR-690's baseline K. (As you probably know I do own an XTR-690 and am proud of it, but it's no V1 in sensitivity of course)

And also does it mute for 30 seconds (what if the strength goes up faster than 30 seconds, will it alert then?) or until its over 4 bars? or until one of the 2 happends?
    You can set it to unmute after 5->30 seconds and 4/6 bars. If one of those conditions is met it will unmute. In addition, from what I understand, if a signal is abruptly ramping or suddenly onset (i.e. IO) the v1 might choose to unmute even earlier than that.

thanks for the advise
    Well usually after passing a K-threat the V1 will continue to detect it for a long time, and that might get annoying to some.

I don't think it's a bad idea to give the V1 a shot -- they have a good return policy. This is all a personal-taste thing and I don't think any of us can tell you whether or not the unit will suit your alert tastes ;-). Come on! You know you want to!

Power User

Default Re: Thinkin about a V1... have a few questions.

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex0dus36

I was wondering, if i chose a V1, would the K-Band auto mute to 4 bars strength be dangerous to turn on?
    Nah, it just lowers the volume of an incoming K-band alert until it reaches 4 bars. I bet the 4-bar sensitivity of the V1 is still higher than the XTR-690's baseline K. (As you probably know I do own an XTR-690 and am proud of it, but it's no V1 in sensitivity of course)

And also does it mute for 30 seconds (what if the strength goes up faster than 30 seconds, will it alert then?) or until its over 4 bars? or until one of the 2 happends?
    You can set it to unmute after 5->30 seconds and 4/6 bars. If one of those conditions is met it will unmute. In addition, from what I understand, if a signal is abruptly ramping or suddenly onset (i.e. IO) the v1 might choose to unmute even earlier than that.

thanks for the advise
    Well usually after passing a K-threat the V1 will continue to detect it for a long time, and that might get annoying to some.

I don't think it's a bad idea to give the V1 a shot -- they have a good return policy. This is all a personal-taste thing and I don't think any of us can tell you whether or not the unit will suit your alert tastes ;-). Come on! You know you want to!
    Ditto...

There are lots of custimization, you can program to show a visual alert yet still be "silent" untill the threshold is reached... as mentioned you can set the length of time however you want, so if you know you generally pass a weak false spot with in 10 sec, you can program it to do so and never hear a peep.

Advanced Member

For around town I would say no. Thats what I use and there is frequently instant-on K-band in the area....

However I use small 'l' mode so i can see the muted alerts and I know if I start detecting something kinda early i react accordingly

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96