Radar Fanatic

Default Question about V1 policies + story

I was visiting a friend of mine on vacation who had recently made a long drive. I know it involved I75 in GA and FL and somewhere in Alabama. The owner of the V1 was under the impression that Valentine would pay for up to two tickets in the first year. I had never heard about this and suggested it must have been some other brand.

The other anecdotal content of this post is that in one round trip 3 different people received speeding tickets with the V1, ranging from 19 over to 31 over. I of course proclaimed to them that a radar detector is only a tool. It is not a cop detector and does not make you immune to enforcement. I know two of the tickets were by lidar and I believe both of those in GA. The other, I have to assume, was instant on (it was radar).

Power User

It takes more than a detector to avoid a speeding ticket.

The 31 over ticket is telling of the type of drivers they are.

It would not have mattered if they had a V1, STi, 9500, etc. I would have outwitted them with a simple Cobra alone.

About the "policy" hell NO, that is taken from RMR, and it is a scam.

Experienced

Default Re: Question about V1 policies + story

Quote Originally Posted by 9500ier
    I know two of the tickets were by lidar and I believe both of those in GA. The other, I have to assume, was instant on (it was radar).
    It's hardly fair for them to blame the V1 for their tickets. The V1 is has tremendous laser detection. However, without a jammer (or Veil and a plate cover), the V1 is an extremely sensitive ticket notifier.

"Congratulations. You've just received a laser ticket." At least there's no doubt in your mind why the officer is pulling you over. With an inferior detector, you don't know which violation the officer is using to pull you over.

Perhaps they ought to peruse the board and read about jammers, Veil, rabbits, driving in a low-profile manner, etc. 8)

Yoda of Radar

At 31 over, you could JTG the LEO and you are still definitely getting a ticket.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by amoney
    ...or pilot.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by djrams80
    At 31 over, you could JTG the LEO and you are still definitely getting a ticket.
    Agreed. At those kinds of speeds it doesn't take any fancy electronic device to give you a ticket.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by zr1
    ...or pilot.

If they can not properly use one electronic device, I do not hold high hopes of them operating a airplanes instrumentation.

Power User

Oh yeah, the V1 does not guarantee you in terms of tickets or anything like that. Nor does any of the reputable detector makers. The only ones that make such guarantees are RMR and other BS fake detector sellers who sell you a $10 device at $300 so of course they have some money left over to pay off your tickets. Furthermore, they'll try to tell you that you did this and that wrong, hence voiding the guarantee.

The V1 is a solid detector, certainly one of the best that money can buy. However, it's not enough just to run a detector, you must be informed about how radar, laser, and other speed enforcement technologies work and understand that your detector is not magically going to empower you to speed 30 over without fear of tickets.

Speed Demon

...or pilot.

If they can not properly use one electronic device, I do not hold high hopes of them operating a airplanes instrumentation.

hehe...especially flying 0' AGL

Power User

...or pilot.

hehe...especially flying 0' AGL
    :wink: