Default Got my new V1 for Christmas!

It wasn't a surprised, because the wife told me "order what you want, but we're going to wrap it and put it under the tree."

So it's been sitting there for a while.

But I'm finally glad to have it and have enjoyed it daily since. I immediately hard-wired it to my mirror with an Invisicord and it worked great. Took all of 5 minutes. Definitely the way to go versus running down the a-pillar like I did my last car.

Awesome!

Newcomer

Congrats on the Xmas gift. Mine was also a Xmas gift, but when the UPS man brought it the second week of Dec, I decided to temporarily mount it and take it out for a test drive...just to make sure it worked you know. I didn't want a broken unit for Xmas. I fully intended to put it back into the box and wrap it up, but just couldn't stand to go out driving without it So it is still mounted. I need to hardwire it this week however, since I don't like the coiled cable hanging down and it takes my only plugin away from the XM Roady. What is the invisicord and what car did you hardwire it into? Jerry

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by tnharley
    Congrats on the Xmas gift. Mine was also a Xmas gift, but when the UPS man brought it the second week of Dec, I decided to temporarily mount it and take it out for a test drive...just to make sure it worked you know. I didn't want a broken unit for Xmas. I fully intended to put it back into the box and wrap it up, but just couldn't stand to go out driving without it So it is still mounted. I need to hardwire it this week however, since I don't like the coiled cable hanging down and it takes my only plugin away from the XM Roady. What is the invisicord and what car did you hardwire it into? Jerry
    Lol I did that with a DVD player long ago when they first came out...I bought one for my dad and rented about 6 movies to be ABSOLUTELY SURE it worked right wrapped it back up and slid it under the tree the night before

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Got my new V1 for Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by Fireproof
    It wasn't a surprised, because the wife told me "order what you want, but we're going to wrap it and put it under the tree."

So it's been sitting there for a while.

But I'm finally glad to have it and have enjoyed it daily since. I immediately hard-wired it to my mirror with an Invisicord and it worked great. Took all of 5 minutes. Definitely the way to go versus running down the a-pillar like I did my last car.

Awesome!
    so wifey has to give you permission? haha

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by tnharley
    ...What is the invisicord and what car did you hardwire it into...
    Forum rules prohibit posting links to products that compete with Roy's offerings. However, I'm sure you could find it with very little effort on Google.

Basically, it's a short cord with two leads to connect directly to the wiring for your rear view mirror. In checking their site, I can't see that there's any fuse in the wiring? Can anyone with an Invisicord confirm this? I'd be very hesistant to risk frying my $400 V1 because of the lack of a 10 cent fuse.

The Valentine direct-wire kit does include a fuse. I recently bought another direct-wire kit and connected in to the rear view mirror wiring. The headliner in my car is black, so the black V1 and black wire blend in well.

Enjoy your V1. 8)

Thanks guys.

No, the invisicord doesn't have an inline fuse, but it's my understanding that the mirrors (with compass, auto-dimming, etc) do in their wiring, so you are just piggy-backing off of that. Not sure what might create any additional surge between the point of the wire tap and the V1.

What direct wire kit did you buy and how did you tap it into the mirror?

Experienced

so wifey has to give you permission? haha
    Their is another way? :shock:

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by Fireproof
    ...What direct wire kit did you buy and how did you tap it into the mirror?
    You can buy a Direct Wire Power Adapter from Valentine's website. It's about $15. It has a positive and ground wire, and comes with a connector to tap into a hot or switched wire. The adaptor has two sockets. You plug in the V1 cord into one. You can plug in an accessory to the other socket, such as a remote display.

The hardest part (and it isn't hard) about a hard-wire is finding a hot or switched wire. For example, many people use the wiring in their overhead instrument panel or rear view mirror power. You can often find out about your specific car by searching the web.

Try a google search for your car and valentine hardwire and see what you get. I also sent you a PM.