Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default V1 Mounting in a Range Rover Sport/LR2

Been a long time reader of rd.net and finally was able to say goodbye to $400 and buy the supposed king of all detectors. The arrows and bogey counter seemed to solidify my purchase. I primarily drive a range rover sport and sometimes an LR2. I know that the best way to mount is high, level, and in clear view of the back window. Since my SUV's are somewhat tall should i still mount as high as possible next to the rvm or is below the rear view good enough? Thanks in advance for any help.

Radar Fanatic

It depends upon if you're worried about laser. You probably won't pick up laser if it's mounted up high. I drive a van sometimes with a nearly vertical windshield. The V1 is still mounted up high because I figure that if I do get lasered and the V1 goes off it's already too late. I'm a lot more worried about radar, and the LEO's by me like to sit on the other side of hills and hit you right when you crest the hill. I'd say keep it high or slightly above middle. Make sure it's not blocking your vision though.

Professional

mount it high and use it for the radar. with a grill as big as the landrover your just going to get warned you got hit with laser. do you have pics of the lr2's mirror with how your wanting to mount it? mainly you want to get as high as you can while keeping the rear sensor clear of any objects. chp has a tendency to sneek up behind people, so you def want that feature

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer84_03
    mount it high and use it for the radar. with a grill as big as the landrover your just going to get warned you got hit with laser
    Yeah ditto. I didn't even think about the grill.

Radar Fanatic

I drive a Range Rover and mount my V1 on the left side of the RVM. Right below the black dots on the windshield. Even though SUVs are high off the ground you still get better range by mounting high. Also in the RR HSE there is about three inches of lightly tined material on the top of the windshield i have found that by mounting high (within that tinted area) i have really cut down on the laser falses. I have also tested with my own lidar gun and it seems that detection of legitimate lidar sources are just as good. For example i used to have my V1 go off for laser at red lights (the new LED type) and now that it is behind the tint that does not happen. Also with the V1 i have gotten every laser alert when i have been actually targeted (i have jammers to confirm alerts) so i would not be worried about detecting laser, but with SUV there will be no time to slow down i can assure you i have tried. Scatter (or advanced laser warning) only gives you a few seconds to slow down and for it to work you would have to slam on the brakes at the first sound of the alert. With how much the V1 falses this will prob just get you rear-ened for no reason at all.

To sum up mount high and if your worried about lidar get some good jammers. You don't really have a chance of avoiding a lidar ticket (in a SUV as large and reflective as those made by LR) even with the V1.

Newcomer

yeah i figured the big rover grills would make laser detection somewhat obsolete and too bad laser jammers are illegal in ca or else im sure id have a set. thanks for the tips, im going to keep doing the same as you carter840 and have it mounted high next the rvm and being on high alert for any possible laser traps.

Newcomer

i got a infiniti qx56 and its bigger and i still mount high on the left side of the RVM because Ka radar is used mostly in California. I have been hit with Ka 100 + times and laser none. I havent seen CHP using laser on highways yet so im not really concerned. I have seen many cops use laser in local, like San Fernando Valley but i don't speed in local so yea.

Professional

some of the guys are using jammers in ca. i have a buddy thats going to put one one there. you got 3 strikes and its worth it to have the warning, just dont jtg or else they might get suspicious. plus, your driving a suv, your the least of their worries as a target

Newcomer

so u can get caught with it 2 times and the 3rd your in big trouble? Don't you get fined for like $1000+ if u get caught having it the first time? Will putting veil on any SUV chrome grill make a difference ? mine has a big ass chrome compared to the range rover.

Newcomer

thanks for all the tips everyone but yeah i had the same question as cheaperinfiniti. i havent heard of the 3 strikes thing before in regards to laser jammers. is that true in ca? i also thought you got fined pretty badly 1st time around.