Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default RJ11 Phone Cord: getting the right one...

I read a lot both here and what was in the manual about using a standard RJ11 cable. I didn't really understand what having the wires switched on each end meant until I test a few phone cables I had and found which one's worked. So I took some pics and thought I would post for the benefit of other newbies like myself!

I know the pic isn't perfect on the left, but if you read it you get the idea. Hope it helps someone out!

Still even if you get a cable that LOOKS right, you really need to test the cable before installing it. I've had a cable that looks correct but didn't work.

Radar Fanatic

i just took a look at a random RJ 11 cable i have and it only has two cables, red and green, at each end, and they are opposite of each other. Two cables are enough or?

Newcomer

/\/\ My understanding is that if you use a cable with only two wires (and therefore only 2 connectors on the jack), it will only power the valentine and would not work with a concealed display and/or external mute button.

If you're doing a hardwire you're best off just getting the right cable the first time around so you can always add the concealed later if you want. The "right" cable in my picture was purchased at Home Depot for under $4.

Legal in 41 States

I learned this when I was doing my first slim display for my car. I took off the jack and soldered the wires directly to the board, only to get it back together and figure out I screwed it up.

Power User

I just called V1 today, they told me the v1 should come with everything for hardwiring the radar detector. Of course thats just using no concealed display.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by speed-demon
    I just called V1 today, they told me the v1 should come with everything for hardwiring the radar detector. Of course thats just using no concealed display.
    Right on man, some people may have lost the direct wire adapter and/or want an extra or just want an extra cable

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by VRV1
    Quote Originally Posted by speed-demon
    Right on man, some people may have lost the direct wire adapter and/or want an extra or just want an extra cable
    lol, the wire that came with the V1 was too short, I need at least a 12 feet.
    I'm going to HomeDepot tomorrow.
    thanks for clearing this up!

Newcomer

:arrow: No problem man! Just make sure you test the cable before doing any hardwire! Believe me I had no idea that phone cables were so different! I have had a cable that looks like the "correct" cable above and it still didn't work.

Power User

:arrow: No problem man! Just make sure you test the cable before doing any hardwire! Believe me I had no idea that phone cables were so different! I have had a cable that looks like the "correct" cable above and it still didn't work.
    funny thing is that all those wires work for a phone...

Power User

I tried the phone cord from home depot it does power up,but it wouldn't go into programing mode or muting. however, I tried the beleswcort directwire that I had for my 8500 and it actually WORKS (program mode ad mute works) with the v1.