Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Extremely Unhappy with Mike Valentine's V1 & Customer Sv

The intent of this is to warn those possibly considering purchasing a $400 V1.

My wife purchased a V1 for me for Christmas 2006, just over a year ago. She, as some women, plan ahead and purchased the unit via the internet in September. I received the unit on Christmas. I was building a new house and the unit was in my sports car which didn't go out much during this period. After about 3-4 months, I noticed an "E" on the display. Didn't recognize it, but noticed it hadn't made any alarms in a while. I reset it and forgot it. It kept happening and remember I was not in this car much. (Brand new Z06 Corvette and I didnt' even get 3,000 on the odo during 2006)

Anyway I realize this thing is not working and does not warn you it's not working and has to be reset by turning it off/on. As I am moving into a new house and materials are lost, I finally find my Valentine manual. To my chagrin, there is no mention of "E" anywhere in the manual.

I call Valentine, and a tech tells me there was a problem with these units and no worry to send it in. I procrastinate a couple of weeks thinking I have until Christmas and send it in early December.

Valentine calls and tells me they need a credit card for $45 charge. I give them the number then realize hey, this is supposed to be warranty. I ask to speak to Mike Valentine. The lady tries to brush me off with he's busy, he's on a call but I insist on waiting. She comes back on the line many times, but no, I'll wait.

Finally, I get Mike Valentine. I explain the story and he says he'll look into it and get back to me. About 3 weeks go by and I'm thinking I should have had my unit shipped back to me or a call or something. I call and the person I talk to says they will get back to me on it. I miss the return call and get a message. They are still waiting for my $45.

Now I start to get a little hot. I call back and speak to someone and tell them Mike was supposed to get back to me. They call back and say that Mike says pay the $45.

I noticed on your website others having had this problem. Mr. Valentine openly acknowledges a problem with the "spate of E cases" and that everyone will be warrantied.

Obviously, his word isn't worth much.

I have pictures of the unit malfunctioning if anyone wants to see it.

Very sad case of customer service, acknowledged defect, statements by owner that he will stand behind it, then nothing.

You decide if you want to buy one of these or not.

BTW...I'm all about principle. I had them ship it back unfixed so that I can demonstrate it to anyone that's interested.

Power User

was the unit out of warranty when you sent it in?
    I believe if it was out of warranty, you do have to pay the $45.
    If you already sent it in, why not have them fix it? , given that you already pay for shipping and handling...
    what version # is your v1?
    lol I don't like that lady either :?
    I haven't had any E problems with my "returned" unit either.
    I believe they have been helpful to me when I call.

Professional

i have been getting "E" too quite frequently , i am under warranty i will need to see what happens when i send it in too.

as far as E goes, i dont see any probs with detecting radar, it works awesome but once in a while it pops "E" during startup.

Professional

So your wife purchased it in September 2006 and gave it to you in December 2006? That would mean that the warranty expired in September 2007. Why are you complaining about them doing their job? If that is the case, then you are obligated to pay the $45 for repairs (assuming you want it repaired).

Sorry to hear that, but I have not read anything from people here before about poor customer service from VR. In fact, I have heard that they are one of the best. I have not had much contact with VR as my V1 is brand new, but what I have had, they have been EXTREMELY helpful. I do not advise people thinking about buying a V1 to change their purchase because of this one story.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by guit123
    i have been getting "E" too quite frequently , i am under warranty i will need to see what happens when i send it in too.

as far as E goes, i dont see any probs with detecting radar, it works awesome but once in a while it pops "E" during startup.
    do you leave your RD in your car? something might be lose...

Quote Originally Posted by Jabomb9
    So your wife purchased it in September 2006 and gave it to you in December 2006? That would mean that the warranty expired in September 2007. Why are you complaining about them doing their job? If that is the case, then you are obligated to pay the $45 for repairs (assuming you want it repaired).

Sorry to hear that, but I have not read anything from people here before about poor customer service from VR. In fact, I have heard that they are one of the best. I have not had much contact with VR as my V1 is brand new, but what I have had, they have been EXTREMELY helpful. I do not advise people thinking about buying a V1 to change their purchase because of this one story.
    Well here's the rub. It wasn't put into service until 12/25, meaning it was never used. No different than until they are sold and sit on the shelf at the warehouse. What difference does it make anyway. Mike Valentine openly acknowledges there was a defect from the factory. That means it came that way. Let's just go with your argument, even if I missed the so called warranty period, how about fixing something screwed up in the software from day 1. Mike Valentine posted on this very website:

"First, there really isn't any "problem" with V1. The small spate of "E" warning messages experienced by the earliest adopters were the result of our having tightened the threshold of accuracy that we expect from the V1. As you might guess, no matter how many prototypes one lab tests as well as field tests, sometimes new advances do a few unpredictable things when replicated by the thousands. We will enthusiastically make right any customer's V1 that actually has had a warning message."

I don't know if that part about "we will enthusiastically make right...." means anything to you, but I think it means something to someone with eyes that can read and a brain that can comprehend.
    Therefore, if you wish to purchase products from vendors that emplore such tactics, you may get what you deserve.
    I submit this post for those that may want to consider that.

Professional

Well you're not an 'early adopter' for one, and two, not using it until 12/25/06 doesn't mean the warranty starts then, that's pretty much common knowledge.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by speed-demon

when i leave it in car for few hours when cold and plug it in it surely pops E. 90% of the time i keep it at home at night and when i plugin it back when it is cold it pops E again.

i reset it and works just fine, no less range as usually encounter same range on K shoppin malls.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabomb9
    Well you're not an 'early adopter' for one, and two, not using it until 12/25/06 doesn't mean the warranty starts then, that's pretty much common knowledge.
    Just in case you didn't get it the first time. Mike said he was going to fix the problem. He did not qualify that statement that the unit had to be under warranty. What's your deal, do you work there?

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by speed-demon

when i leave it in car for few hours when cold and plug it in it surely pops E. 90% of the time i keep it at home at night and when i plugin it back when it is cold it pops E again.

i reset it and works just fine, no less range as usually encounter same range on K shoppin malls.
    if it's under warranty, I'd call in and see what they say...