Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Professional

Default I've come to the decision to manually turn my V1 on/off

I've been turning my car on with the V1 switched on and noticed that when I do that, there is a two-step (kind of) ignition. Meaning that it lights up for a split second, goes blank, then starts up fully. I've never been a big fan of doing this, and even though the V1 is pretty robustly-built, I'm still skeptical. I would hate to have any damage happen to the V1 due to something that could have been easily avoided.

Anybody have any opinions on this practice?

Speedtrap Crasher

I can't think of any reason a hot start would damage your V1. It's 12v and there is a voltage regulator in you're car already.

But more importantly. You have to be absolutely sure you turn the V1 on everytime. There's nothing more nauseating than getting hit with a traffic stop only to look up and find you're RD was switched off.

ops: well maybe looking up to see you're volume was turned down . . . that's pretty nauseating too.
    Project "BONES" Speed Lab:
    Valentine One, Blinder M47 "All Front Configuration"
    Pro97 Police Scanner
    1 Saves / 3 Strikes as of 8/22/2009
    Estimated saves in U.S. Dollars: $200

Professional

lol I've done that with my v995 before. It gets to a point where it's such a habit. Maybe I'll just stick to a hot start to be safe. There's a fuse in the hardwire kit.

Power User

I am not at all convinced it's harmful to the unit. There's voltage regulation in the V1 and I'm sure it was designed with this style of operation in mind. Any large power spikes would be caught by a fuse (but are extremely unlikely to begin with)... Smaller spikes can cause the V1 to "bounce" (reset after a partial boot) but the device seems to be designed in an era where that has no effect on the NVRAM or other aspects of operation.

In short, I wouldn't worry about the V1 bouncing when you start your car. My V1 does that, my Whistlers do that, my Cobra from 3 years ago does that, and none of them have developed any power supply problems.

Experienced

......there is a relay out that you can easily install and vary to activate in a few seconds after the car has started if the cigarette lighter socket is hot all the time or is activated with the ignition "on"....

....i personally believe that there is a surge or spike after the car is started and i would hate to gamble on that aspect of the v1 'wearing down' and causing some damage...

Power User

I dont think itll damage the v1 since you have a fuse that protects the circuitry

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by speed-demon
    I dont think itll damage the v1 since you have a fuse that protects the circuitry
    ..yes, i understand that but, over time a small set of spikes can do accumulated damage as spikes can do in your home appliances and home electronics and those to are either fuse or breaker protected and their fuses or breakers don't trip or blow......

Professional

That's why you send it in once a year to get it tuned.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by Jabomb9
    That's why you send it in once a year to get it tuned.
    .....that is only for the tuning but, what if it just goes bad and just blows?.....

Experienced

I remove mine 1-2 times a day so a switched or constant on makes no difference to how I use mine.