Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Airport security and my detector

Well I will be flying to Reno this weekend to pick up my new (used) 2003 Dodge SRT4. Then I visit the family for a few days and drive 600 miles back home.

With tightened airport security now days though, are they going to give me grief or even allow me to carry on my V1? I'd rather not check it into luggage, but past experiences.

Thanks for any advice.

~Nemesys

Professional

I haven't the slightest Idea. My guess is that you wont have any trouble. Does anyone have any idea as to the effect of X-Rays on an RD?

Radar Fanatic

I flew to Wisconsin and back with my V1 in the briefcase and nobody even batted an eye. This was in June. Your bigger problem is keeping it safe.

Radar Fanatic

the metal of the v1 will keep most x rays out, but they have been known to cause damage to electronics. i asked this vr but never got an answer so i guess they didnt know.

as long as its not some bomb or a knife or a gun etc they arnt bothered!

most people keep pc's, cd walkmans, mp3 players, pda's etc with them due to high cost value of items so i dont see why you cant keep your v1 safe!

Cheetah Rep

Shouldn't be a problem.
    i suggest putting it in a carry on and running it through the x-ray.
    if you walk it through and put it in a basket, (as with other handheld type devices) they have a tendency to ask you to turn it on, which you won't be able to do. then you'll have to go through a song and dance, and they'll probably send it through the x-ray anyway.

They x-rayed my digital camera and laptop coming and going with no problems.

Also, don't carry any digital memory in your pocket through the metal detector as it may wipe it out. the x-ray will be no problem for them though.

Radar Fanatic

I flew from Cle to seattle with the detector in my backpack... no damge and noboy looked twice.

No problem, don't worry @ all. At most they'll make you open the bag to take a look.

Professional

At most, they might look in your carry on to see what it is. Camcorders, notebook computers should be removed from your carry on and placed in bins on the belt.

I do this all of the time (I travel at least once a month for work) and there's no damage to the electronics from the X-ray machine.

Ed

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by edweird
    At most, they might look in your carry on to see what it is. Camcorders, notebook computers should be removed from your carry on and placed in bins on the belt.

I do this all of the time (I travel at least once a month for work) and there's no damage to the electronics from the X-ray machine.

Ed
    I second that.

I traveled with my wife through China, Vietnam, Thailand and India back in May, all countries that may not be the most "regulated" in terms of xray. There was no damage to my notebook or digicam... so I would not worry @ all about damge.

Newcomer

Thanks guys! I guess I was worried about not being able to turn it on like they make you do laptops, or they wouldn't know what the heck it was and attempt to confinscate it. All worked out OK. I'm in Reno with my new car! Great time. Now Thursday though I have to drive 650 miles back home, but it will be fun.

~Nemesys

Advanced Member

Any update?

How about going into Australia and NZ