Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default was all ready to buy a V1

it's been a year since I've needed an RD. I last had an RX65 (that I loved). Heard it's not that great anymore... so was looking at the Sti, the 9500i, and the v1, though when I had tried the v1 (3.854), I sent it back less than a week after having it cause of all the damn falsing and what seemed to be low forward detection on Ka. Well, I've been reading nothing but good things about the v1 lately (3.863) and decided to give it another try. Pulled out my discover card, went to v1's website, started filling out all my billing info. Came to payment method- discover card not accepted. $hit.

Professional

so was looking at the Sti, the 9500i, and the v1, though when I had tried the v1 (3.854), I sent it back less than a week after having it cause of all the *BEEP* falsing and what seemed to be low forward detection on Ka.
    V1 does not chat as much as X50 (Rev 6.3) except V1 alerts first which is good news. If you live in the city and drive in the city often, the V1 is not for you. V1 is the king of all Radar and Laser Detection. It has amazing sensitivity to I/O Ka including Stalker (34.7Ghz) and Kustom Eagle (35.5)
    Well, I've been reading nothing but good things about the v1 lately (3.863) and decided to give it another try.
    You should, V1 3.863 is awesome.

Pulled out my discover card, went to v1's website, started filling out all my billing info. Came to payment method- discover card not accepted. $hit.
    That is not good. Try calling them if they will accept money check through mail.

Power User

you'll do fine with the new 3.863 in Texas 8)

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by speed-demon
    I totally agree!!!

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by An0nym0us
    Quote Originally Posted by speed-demon
    I totally agree!!!
    Why would his falsing be any less? If he sent the 3.854 back because of all the falsing, the 3.863 probably won't be any less and it might even be more. The Ka issue could have been just a bad unit since the V1 excels at all frequencies, with maybe the slight exception being off-axis 35.5. The V1 is an awesome RD, but he doesn't sound like a V1 type of guy. He sounds more like a 9500i type of guy, IMO.

Lead Foot

Actually I have no desire of having the 9500i. The little falsing on the RX-65 and X50 I had was never anything I wanted to lock out. I think taking time to mark and lock out and all that other crap would be more distracting and annoying than falsing. Plus I can't bear the thought of locking out a real threat.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by ryansandlin
    Actually I have no desire of having the 9500i. The little falsing on the RX-65 and X50 I had was never anything I wanted to lock out. I think taking time to mark and lock out and all that other crap would be more distracting and annoying than falsing. Plus I can't bear the thought of locking out a real threat.
    That's cool. Your comments made you sound like falsing was a major issue with you. The 9500i is a fantastic detector and it's lockout feature is completely optional. If the user is afraid to lockout a signal, he doesn't have to. However, it is much quieter than the V1 but just slightly less sensitive. It's detection capabilities are better that everything out there but the V1.

And you can buy it using your Discover card!!!

Lead Foot

Falsing is a major issue when its to the point of ignoring every alert because it's going off ever two secs (like the v1 I had did on K band in urban areas, ha). I was just under the impression that more than a year later V1 would have improved it's filtering.. am I wrong?

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by ryansandlin
    Falsing is a major issue when its to the point of ignoring every alert because it's going off ever two secs (like the v1 I had did on K band in urban areas, ha). I was just under the impression that more than a year later V1 would have improved it's filtering.. am I wrong?
    the V1 falses on K as much as the X50 in urban areas. However, you can set it into logic or advance logic mode to reduce K band false annoyance.

Yoda of Radar

Yes, you are wrong. I'm pretty sure that there is no more filtering on the 3.863 V1 than the 3.854 V1. "J outs" are the only filtering I have even ever heard of on the V1's, which is a way to avoid falsing from lower level RD's(ie Cobras). There are ways to reduce sensitivity and it also has a useful automute feature, but these are no different than the 3.854 that you sent back.

V1's policy seems to be "give the user all the info and let him/her sort it out". Now, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. V1 users love the V1 and don't mind the chattiness, which I totally get. But, if it's quieter you are looking for, the newer V1 will be no quieter than the one you sent back.