Newcomer

Default V1 good catches this week

Here's a couple good catches my V1 made this week: I grabbed the aerial photos off maps.live.com cause it helps show what the situations were.
    First one - I got some k band chirp as I was coming to a stop *facing a lake*. .. Never had a chirp there before, so I figured it must be a Leo around the corner with the radar reflecting off the sides of cars going around the corner ahead of me. Sure enough, I went around the corner too and there he was. The V1 gave me plenty of time to make sure I wasn't over 30 by the time he could have possibly tagged me. And he also blasted me from the rear as I was driving away too.

And the second one: I got the first chirp going over the bridge over the channel between two bays of the lake - it was the high ground, and as I gradually went down the slight hill on the other side and around the corner the strength indicator grew and grew. Lots of time to get down to the posted 40mph. Great job V1!

I also passed a LIDAR trap that the Orono PD had set up. Two cruisers waiting to pull the people over, and one officer on the corner with the LIDAR gun. If you can see him, he's got you. I lucked out the first time I passed him - he was looking the other way with the gun. It's interesting to note that I watched him in the rearview mirror as I drove away - he was getting cars in the other lane coming towards him, but the V1 made not a peep. Just to see the V1 react I went down a couple blocks and turned around and came back. That Laser alert is a mildly heart-attack inducing sound!

Professional

Nice post. Nice warning!

Old Timer

x2

Experienced

Orono still uses K band? I haven't seen a single K band in orono for atleast a year, I guess there is still one out there. It seems like this area has moved to KA and Laser.

Lead Foot

I remember when I saw my first laser trap. I was going the opposite way the LEO was shooting his LIDAR and was wondering, umm why is the V1 not picking this up at such a close distance? There were other cars coming the other way and he was pointing the gun at them (motorcycle cop). I went around for another run, just because I was curious and figured already it was LIDAR and even though I knew it was coming the laser alert still about gave me a heart attack, like mentioned above. But the V1 picked up laser scatter in time for me to slow down though. I would have seen the LEO shooting people before he even shot me. Kind of a bad hiding spot for him.

Newcomer

StealthyPhantom -

I was a bit surprised by the K band also. Every other Orono PD car I have passed was Ka...or the LIDAR traps...maybe it's the old car the newbie gets!

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by jmatasov
    StealthyPhantom -

I was a bit surprised by the K band also. Every other Orono PD car I have passed was Ka...or the LIDAR traps...maybe it's the old car the newbie gets!
    I hear that, They are getting quite good at using I/O and finding new places to hide. South Lake PD still has K band but it is on their rear antennas. They love to sit on the east bound shoulder of Highway 7 just as you cross under that bridge where Roy's Bait shop used to be. (just east of Oak St. and 7) I have picked up I/O K band for over 1 mile on that stretch of road considering that the road has quite a good curve in it. I was yet again surprised by the V1's outstanding performance on K band.