Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by carter840
    OK well I tried this and I guess I messed up because I blew the 2amp V1 fuse. I think my error was that I used the ground line in the RJ-11 line instead of a vehicle ground. I am assuming that there is some sort of difference? Luckily the fuse took the fall and the V1 is still good.

So if I were to try this again I use a vehicle ground and solder that the one end of my button and then use the mute line (within the RJ-11 cord) on the other button connection? Also is the resistor really needed? It seems like many avoid using it altogether.

Thanks
    There should be no difference between the ground in the RJ-11 and vehicle ground. If you blew your fuse, then at least one of your wires is connected to the wrong RJ11 pin.

As for the resistor: It will "work" without it, meaning that it will mute your unit. But there's a resistor in the original mute circuit in the remote display, and it's there for a reason... so leave it out at your own risk.

Hi carter840,

Can you post a close-up picture of your RJ-11 plug and pictures of your mute button and power and ground connections?

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    As for the resistor: It will "work" without it, meaning that it will mute your unit. But there's a resistor in the original mute circuit in the remote display, and it's there for a reason... so leave it out at your own risk.
    my "discovery" is that youll get inconsistant "mute" operation
    w/OUT the 10k resistor in-line...i fact w/out the resistor my "remotely
    mounted mute button" RARELY worked....as soon as i added the
    resistor it has worked EVERY TIME.

Radar Fanatic

Alright I just redid it with the 10K in between the mute line and the switch and it works perfectly. I think my problem the first time was that the prongs on the switch were to close and touched each other and caused a short. I will try to get some pictures of my install within a week but right now i have the button on my brights/blinker handle and it is very convenient.

Thanks to all for the help it really makes a big difference.

Experienced

I am looking for some help too, regarding wiring of a mute switch...

The instructions say to plug it into the ACC of the direct-wire block, and if using a concealed display, to put an RJ-11 splitter into the ACC port and both the mute and CD wires go in.

What if I put the RJ-11 splitter at the concealed display end instead?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by gig103

The instructions say to plug it into the ACC of the direct-wire block, and if using a concealed display, to put an RJ-11 splitter into the ACC port and both the mute and CD wires go in.

It won't work like that, because the order of the pins would be reversed.

Experienced

If I was making my own mute switch, and switched the order of the pins, then it should work, right?

I had considered the reverse order of the pins, but what I worry about is that this splitter will have the mute switch going "in" and the CD power cord going "out". It's all a data bus, though, so it shouldn't matter, correct?

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by gig103

There is no difference as long as you split the Acc. Port on the power plug. It doesn't matter what end you do it at.