Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default How can I make my own mute button???

Just wondering if someone has the wiring diagram to make a mute button for the V1. I saw it on here at some point but i couldn't find it with the search button. They sell these mute buttons for 10-20 dollars online (look around), but i would rather make my own so that i can use a button that fits my personal situation best.

Thanks

I would like to know too.

Here is how to do it (courtesy of Jimbonzzz, "The Professor"). As you can see, all you need is a momentary normally open push button switch plus a 10K resistor:

Note that I would put the 10K resistor between the push button switch and the V1 plug rather than between the push button switch and vehicle ground.

Old Timer

Lead Foot

i used a very small and low profile button to make mine. I have it mounted to the back side of the blinker where its not visible and easy to get to. Also I did not wire in a resistor and I have not had any problems.

Having a mute button is great. I can now run in A all the time. Muting is second nature now.

Good Citizen

my install (in my sig) might give you some ideas too...

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK
    Here is how to do it (courtesy of Jimbonzzz, "The Professor"). As you can see, all you need is a momentary normally open push button switch plus a 10K resistor:

Note that I would put the 10K resistor between the push button switch and the V1 plug rather than between the push button switch and vehicle ground.
    Well guy's, I'm at a loss. Spent the last two days attempting to make the remote mute switch work. I made a harness according to the above mentioned schematic, as well as another that I saw connecting the mute line to the ground line of the V1 itself. Each to no avail.

I have continuity all the way up to the plug going into the V1 itself, but I do not want to crack it open since I am on the "30 day test drive".

Is it possible Valentine Research some how disabled this ability on the latest V1 (3.864) to force users to use the concealed display? I am fairly certain I have eliminated the "stupid".

Any weigh ins would be greatly appreciated. I know I have the right line and the display does not cut out when the button is depressed, just nothing.

Good Citizen

you didnt leave out the 10k resistor did you ???

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by bushpilot
    you didnt leave out the 10k resistor did you ???
    No shes in there.

Radar Fanatic

OK well I tried this and I guess I messed up because I blew the 2amp V1 fuse. I think my error was that I used the ground line in the RJ-11 line instead of a vehicle ground. I am assuming that there is some sort of difference? Luckily the fuse took the fall and the V1 is still good.

So if I were to try this again I use a vehicle ground and solder that the one end of my button and then use the mute line (within the RJ-11 cord) on the other button connection? Also is the resistor really needed? It seems like many avoid using it altogether.

Thanks