Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default question on arrows

how reliable are the arrows? do they always depict where the radar/laser source is coming from?

Newcomer

There are not that many things in life that are "always" or "never".

Professional

I have found them to be extremely accurate. This is not to say that they never make mistakes, but it is not a big worry.

Yoda of Radar

I have had an instance specifically where had I listened to the arrows they would have GOTTEN me a ticket... (The rear arrow was showing, and the LEO speed trap was ahead.) In the city I have found them to be nearly useless (at least where I live.)
    That specific situation is more the exception rather then the rule though.

Many members seem to feel they are accurate in their city, which they very well may be. (It may also be a slight case of being a zombie). They just aren't very effective in the city I live I guess:

So to that extent I very rarely use the V1 in the city for that reason (solves the problem).

In rural areas or the interstate they are for the most part spot on, and you should have no troubles, they should work flawlessly and be very very helpful for night driving.

Though you see it often...
    I have never had, nor seen any situation described on here (for as long as I have been a member) where the arrows have saved anyone from a ticket... where certain other high end detectors wouldn't have provided me enough information to drive away without a ticket.

With that said, they are a feature, sometimes they work great, sometimes they don't... but I think for the most part (outside the city) they are a plus.

Radar Fanatic

I have had mt V1 for less than a month but the arrow do work.

I did notice that it can and will pick up reflections from the rear view mirror if it's mounted with the rear horn too close and the back of the mirror happens to reflect forward signals into it.

Simply adjusting the mirrors day/night switch (for those that still use the old school mirrors) to where the back of the mirror angles up instead of down, or mounting my V1 an inch lower fixes the problem.

As for how helpful the arrows are, here is a quote from my full review in this thread.

http://www.radardetector.net/viewtopic.php?t=36078

"A note on the arrows: They work!

A lot of people that don’t own V1’s have said that the arrows are an unnecessary “gimmick.” The accuracy of such a statement depends largely on what constitutes “necessary.”

Yes, a good radar detector without arrows will let you know that you need to slow down so you don’t get a ticket. If the only goal is not to get a ticket, you don’t need arrows. Of course, you don’t "need" a radar detector either. If the only goal were ticket avoidance, we could all just drive at or below the PSL and save a lot of money. The trouble with the “gimmick” assertion starts when one realizes that those who buy radar detectors aren’t just trying to save money on tickets. They often are trying to save time too.

V1’s arrows and bogey counter go a long way in helping the driver know when they are “done” with a given encounter. This information helps me save more time than detectors without the arrows.

BTW: I made it from Panama City to Fort Myers in 6 hours and 33 minutes. "

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore
    I have had an instance specifically where had I listened to the arrows they would have GOTTEN me a ticket... (The rear arrow was showing, and the LEO speed trap was ahead.) That specific situation is more the exception rather then the rule though.
    So, as you got closer to the trap your rear arrow went to full strength and the LEO was in front of you?

The front arrow never lit up when you were being clocked from the front?
    :?:

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Z1NONLY
    Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore
    I have had an instance specifically where had I listened to the arrows they would have GOTTEN me a ticket... (The rear arrow was showing, and the LEO speed trap was ahead.) That specific situation is more the exception rather then the rule though.
    So, as you got closer to the trap your rear arrow went to full strength and the LEO was in front of you?

The front arrow never lit up when you were being clocked from the front?
    :?:

No, you can search and find it again, it was a pretty big thread about mehhhh a year ago maybe?

(As I remember in summary):
    It went front arrow after it would have been too late to effectively slow down (believing the speedtrap/source/LEO was behind you at this point). [As a point to that fact I believe I put something like: I would rather have a detector show me no information then incorrect information]. Which is true.

Actually we should say: The arrows work very effectively at showing you where (the direction) the strongest source is, but that IS NOT always where the origin of the source is, or even in the same direction of the origin. (In fact it can be 180degrees off of the origin).

Radar Fanatic

I would slow down for a signal that was getting stronger, regardless of what direction it was coming from.

Did you ever figure out why the arrows pointed in the wrong direction?

Reflection off of something in the car, or defective unit?

Speed Demon

in my experience 95%+ accurate, very reliable, but don't throw out an occasion where they'll go wacky

Speed Demon

From time to time, mine will show front, back and then side arrows after passing a speed sign.