Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got an E today

Good Citizen

Default Got an E today

Ok on my V1 today i got a E but when i turned it off and then back on it went back to A. What should i do? send it in or is it fine?

Professional

If it were me I would send it in? What circumstances where you in when it gave you an E?

Call V-1 and ask to talk to Mike The technician---he is a great guy

Good Citizen

Well when i saw it i was slowing down to make a turn. But there where no false es around. And i know it still picks up KA b/c on my way home i picked up one state trooper shooting KA and then later picked up a local LEO shooting KA. But then again it might be coming out of tune too. I have had it for a while and before i hard wired it i forgot to turn it off some days so it stayed on all day. Now im thinking about it i should send it in lol. Should i upgraded to the newest version?

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost917
    Well when i saw it i was slowing down to make a turn. But there where no false es around. And i know it still picks up KA b/c on my way home i picked up one state trooper shooting KA and then later picked up a local LEO shooting KA. But then again it might be coming out of tune too. I have had it for a while and before i hard wired it i forgot to turn it off some days so it stayed on all day. Now im thinking about it i should send it in lol. Should i upgraded to the newest version?
    I remember a thread a while back... Found it.
    http://www.radardetector.net/viewtopic.php?t=21047

That when they went to 3.851 they added "digital temperature compensation" they where notorious for E messages.
    I have 3.858 and only gotten 1 E back in december of 2007, and that was because I started the unit in -20F weather.
    I notice no difference in radar range though.
    I'd say if it does it again send it in to VR.

Professional

I remember on my 3.854 I waited until I had received 5 E's before sending it in. I called VR when I got it back and they said something that the unit was out of alignment or something to that affect. 1 E or 2 E's I would not worry about, but if you feel safer then send it in. I would suggest upon the third E to send it in for sure.

It came back as my current one version 3.858

Ace

Lead Foot

If you do send it in, I'd recommend taking a picture of the "E" and sending it in along with the V1 as it seems VR had a problem believing this actually happened in some people's units.

Professional

I believe V-1 will update yours a few versions because yours was the first with the Digital comp thast they were changing over too and like stated those were giving lots of E's so Im sure they will tweak yours up. Call and speak to Mike he will fix you up

Power User

The "E" means that while the unit was self-tuning it couldn't satisfy its own quality controls (i.e. your unit might be drifting too far out of tune). At the risk of being called an E spokesperson, I'd say that's a good thing the detector lets you know whether or not it's defective. It's like blaming an engine failure on the check engine light and suggesting buying cars without self-diagnostics because they don't annoy you with failure messages ;-)

With regards to the original problem, if the E happens more than periodically (unstable power source can put an erroneous E on the screen), then I'd recommend having VR take a look at the unit for you.

Old Timer

i would definitely send it in

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by hockey005
    i would definitely send it in
    x2

What are you waiting for? I would not be laxed about it. My confidence in a very important piece of delicate equipment would be shattered if I recieved a fault warning.

Waiting for it to happen again could be too late!