Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first Encounter

Default first Encounter

Hey fellas, i live in pa but yesterday i traveled in To NJ for the Day, i turned my X band back on. On The Way there i saw a trooper and nothing from the V1? im like WTF? but also had a rabbit in front of me and i wasnt speeding , but still why did'nt it go off and it was pretty obvious he was sitting there for a reason..Then Later on in the day in traffic i forgot what route i was on 903? i dont remember but along the hill all the sudden bam! 3-6 dots X band and over the hill its full blast but i still cant see him, there he is sitting beside the road i was sooo happy!! but it was less the a 1/4 of a mile that i got the alert...Then today i was driving back home on Route 80 West and there cars in front of me this time im doing 65-70 low and behole a state trooper Im Like WTF? again nothing from ym V1? so i got madd and turned around and see if i can pick i up again but when i went back he was gone, so i guess he wasnt shooting? but even so shouldnt have i gotten somthing if he was shooting radar?..But by my house there speed signs and i also pick them up every time i go by, but the alert is always less then a 1/4 of a mile and i gotta jam on the breaks(but i know there thier so i dont have to) but lets say in another case i wanna know well in advanced when to start slowing down thought this gives you a pretty good distance? so what do you guys think?

Yoda of Radar

The majority of the LEOs out there will not be running radar.

Also, speed signs are extremely variable in detection distance. I have some that are 0.3 miles or so and I have one that I get 2.4 miles against. Also, I have one that I usually get 0.7 miles against and one day, I got like 0.1 miles maybe. Someone(probably drunk) had twisted the sign slightly, not much, maybe 10 degrees and it dramatically lessened my detection range.

Professional

unless they shoot there will be no warning from v1.

u might get full strength if it is an i/o. he might target u or someone infront of you so watch out for i/o cos it is almost as bad as laser if he hits u.

c/o is easy to pick as u will get ample warning.

just cos they are sitting there doesnt mean they are using radar, they might be using laser and selectively targetting speeders.

Old Timer

lots of i/o in NJ

Lead Foot

you have a radar detector not a cop detector... duh

Old Timer

x2

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by ryansandlin
    you have a radar detector not a cop detector... duh
    X3. Did you not even bother looking at the stickies at the top of the V1 page? Doing a search? These things help, and every one of your questions was answered there.

Power User

As others have said,

(1) The V1, and all devices in this class for that matter, is a radar/laser detector, not a psychic cop sensor. In these days when cops are becoming more and more aware of detector users, it's quite the norm for their radar to remain off unless they have intent to target and ticket a particular driver

(2) Depending on environmental factors and whether or not IO is being used, it is completely normal for the V1 to get 1/4 mile type ranges. A cop setting up a smart radar trap that gives your V1 1/4 mile warning might not even set off other detectors until a speed has been taken.

(3) Please organize your questions into coherent paragraphs or lists. That post was one of the most confusing ones I've combed through today.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    (3) Please organize your questions into coherent paragraphs or lists. That post was one of the most confusing ones I've combed through today.
    I would have to agree with Mr. Jdong here. I was bamboozled and confounded but the OP as well.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Beatlesfan
    Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    I would have to agree with Mr. Jdong here. I was bamboozled and confounded but the OP as well.
    I personally thought it was a very nicely worded, clear and concise, 512 word sentence!