Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Arizona photo speed traps use sensors in road, not radar

Arizona has implemented a system of speed traps on freeways and other roads that doesn’t use radar to determine vehicle speed. Flashes go off and extremely detailed photos are taken of the vehicle, the license plate, and the occupants from several different angles and the citation is sent in the mail.
    This system has been thoroughly tested here and is going to be implemented in other states.

Is there any information on what Valentine one is going to implement, to address this traffic hazard that makes a radar detector ineffective?

I own a valentine one and I hope they are going to offer an upgrade.

Power User

How do you propose on detecting it? The system is passive and emits no detectable signature.

Newcomer

Well I think the addition of an updateable location database coupled with GPS would be a good addition.

Power User

IMO a GPS suppressor should be an external peripheral to the V1... I would be extremely disappointed if I'd have to pay a GPS premium to get a V1 in the future.

Professional

You can report those locations to Speedcheetah and they will include them in their next database update for the GPS mirror. They might already be in there. I don't live in AZ though. RacerX can probably give you the specifics of it.

Newcomer

That sounds like a good solution. Any idea if Valentine is going to implement it.

Professional

I highly doubt that VR is going to make a GPS warning type device. Their focus has always been on highly sensitive radar detectors. I have a V1 and the Speedcheetah GPS mirror. They are linked together so that I also get my voice warning from the V1 through the mirror, and it can be used to silence false alarms at a user adjustable speed. Plus it warns you of redlight camera's, speed camera etc. check out

http://www.speedcheetahusa.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/speedcheetah

If you want one, PM Racer X and he can give you all the specifics of what you will need. Great guy to deal with. PLus he is in AZ.

Newcomer

V1 could offer a GPS accessory that plugs into the V1 radar detectors RJ11 connector and all the alert signals and direction indicators would be used to alert to a passive photo system.

The accessory could slide or be mounted on the V1 like the suction cup bracket mounts, and have groves in it for the suction cup bracket, all piggyback so the whole thing would remain compact and no taller than the original V1.

I bought the original V1 which was a little larger than the one they sell now and if the whole thing was about the same size as the original it would be a useful upgrade that I think most V1 owners should have.

Photo Pacification is merciless and a warning device should be in every car.

http://www.motorists.org/photoenforc...speed-cameras/

Professional

You're definitely going to need something very soon. AZ is about to implement 90 freeway speed cameras over the next year so it's no longer just the 6 on the Loop 101 in Scottsdale, that you need to worry about.

AZ is also going to experience a huge increase in mobile "Photo-radar" vans but your V1 is one of the best at detecting these, because they use K Band radar.

However for the fixed cameras, the product you want already exists and fully integrates with the V1. The Cheetah GPSmirror delivers alerts for all the cameras that your V1 misses, has a really good database for AZ in particular, as well as all other US states and Canada.

These two products work extremely well together, even if you are using a remote display, and it gives you everything you're asking for, the GPSmirror can even be used to suppress low speed false alarms, below your chosen speed setting.

Cheetah Rep

Agreed, that pretty much sums it up.

You'll have no problems against the photo radar vans with the V1 too.