Good Citizen

Default VR postage to Canada question

Hi a mate had three V1's sent to BC Canada, and is looking at a duty bill of $220 Cdn.
    He has contacted VR on this hidden cost and VR don't have any idea, VR would only send the RD's overnite UPS.
    Anybody have any ideas what this extra charge was for?

Cheers

Experienced

I don't know whether there is any customs law or agreement between USA and Canada, but it seems that he has exceeded the "tolerable" amount, basically three V1 costs 1200 USD and if that's the value on the shipment the customs duty of 220 USD is actually rather small... We Europeans face the duty costs all the time - it'0s a nonsense to pay customs duty even for shipping costs because customs calculate those into the total amount... Ridiculous. Maybe it would be better for your friend to have it sent separately, as three shipments and not at once.

Just my humble thoughts.

Newcomer

Customs duty and/or customs broker. I can't confirm the amounts, but I've had some discussions with Canadians involving very high costs for cross-border shipments.

Advanced Member

First off the Feds will want their GST (Goods and Services Tax).
    Then a Duty is charged by Customs Canada dependent on the Value of the item.
    This is why when the wife and I order merchandise from the USA we ALWAYS wait until we are visting the USA and have the items shipped to our hotel. All hotels will hold the items pending your arrival.
    Canadians are Taxed to death.....we pay 15% Sales tax and GST on items we buy in Ontario.
    Think about it a case of Canadian Beer costs 50% less in Buffalo NY than it does in Ontario......same for Cigarettes and Liquor.
    If your Mate is close to the Border I would book the night in a motel, have the V1 shipped there and then return.
    $50.00 for a room......Smuggle it across....no Duty.....they're not looking for RD"s.....:wink:

All info is on Customs Canada's web site re Duties.
    If you stay outside Canada is over 48 hours in length you may bring $200.00 worth of Merchandise back Duty Free. 7 days or more $750.00.

Professional

1) Tip one : always use '' EXpress/Overnight/Next Day/Air'' = the most expensive way , this way the carrier will include the brokerage fee. At the end it will become the most economical !

2) Being shipped by XWY , call them first , ask for the Harmonised Code for Canada , when you have the code , tell your supplier to write clearly on the bill and the shipping papers this code and the general description of the item(s).

Good luck / bonne chance !

Good Citizen

Cheers for that guys.

My friend has learnt a valuable lesson.

Good Citizen

Default VR Postage to Canada

The charges should be as follows:
    1) GST (7%) about $115 based on estimated value.
    2) PST (i think 7%) is probably not charged because the individual is responsible for paying this later.
    3) Importing Duty/ Tarriff. Should be none.
    4) Customs brokerage fees. Usually between $25-$50.
    5) Courier fees. The remaining $50-$75.