Thread: V1 issues?

Old Timer

Default V1 issues?

So i see 2 police with a someone pulled over on the side of the road..the v1 starts to chirp Ka just when i am around 200 feet from the cars and the my read antenna picks it up from another 1+ miles away...weird...i figure it was so weird thing so then i am in NH and i start picking up Ka (this time the antenna was towards me) and i picked it up for 1.3 miles which is good..then i am in maine and there are 2 cops sitting and talking...i come over a slight rise and see them...i slam on the brakes and an soon as i do that a get a small alert of Ka from the front horn...i go by and and read antenna again picks it up for a long time...I know facing foward Ka is hard to pick up but only from 200-300 feet? is there something wrong with my front horn?

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by hockey005 View Post
    So i see 2 police with a someone pulled over on the side of the road..the v1 starts to chirp Ka just when i am around 200 feet from the cars and the my read antenna picks it up from another 1+ miles away...weird...i figure it was so weird thing so then i am in NH and i start picking up Ka (this time the antenna was towards me) and i picked it up for 1.3 miles which is good..then i am in maine and there are 2 cops sitting and talking...i come over a slight rise and see them...i slam on the brakes and an soon as i do that a get a small alert of Ka from the front horn...i go by and and read antenna again picks it up for a long time...I know facing foward Ka is hard to pick up but only from 200-300 feet? is there something wrong with my front horn?
    Since I am not the most experienced V1 user in the bunch, I by no means wish for this post to be taken as the definitive answer to your experience.

I just wanted to add that I have also encountered a short range detection of forward facing Ka very similar to yours with my 3.864.

After passing the trooper I hung on to the signal for an additional 1.5 miles with the rear antenna, over a small hill. The initial alert was only 3 lights. After passing it went to lock instantly and stayed that way until the small hill.

It would seem, and again I do not consider myself an authority at this point with the V1, that you came upon a few of those rare instances that the front detection of the forward facing Ka was just plain hard to catch due to environmental circumstances etc.

Have you had direct hits to the front horn that were also short? I have not, only that one instance plus a couple of others with forward facing Ka. I'm pretty sure there isn't anything wrong with mine. I'm curious if there is with yours, if so, I might send mine in.
    Last edited by LordV; 06-15-2008 at 09:04 AM.

Radar Fanatic

Short reception for a forward facing Ka is completely normal, the only way you are going to get a distance boost is if there is a reflecting object in front of the Ka gun.

X band spreads a lot, K band spreads less and think about Ka as keeping an even tighter spread pattern similar to the way laser does not spread light.

This is why some LEO's will sit on top of an overpass and shoot Vehicles in the back, who needs laser?

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by hockey005 View Post
    200--300 feet is normal range of alert from my V1 and My STI in these conditions. It sounds like the radar source is pointed away from you and then as you pass you get strong alert from the rear horn for 1.5 miles. In this situation I get the same results.The radar source being pointed away from you (you are not in the beam and are only getting reflective waves) thus the short 200-300 foot warning.

Old Timer

ok good..yea there was really nothing behind the leos but open space

Power User

the shortest I've got is 700 ft with the LEO runing forward anntena behind cars in a parking lot. If you ran into 35.5 Ka, then by no means it can happen

Old Timer

it was 34.7

Lead Foot

Same thing happened to me today actually. About a 300 foot alert then 1 mile or so from the rear antenna.