Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Mounting help - VW Passat

My V1 came in yesterday! I must say I'm already in love with it. Picked up 2 LEOs (town) a good distance away and both were over a hill (KA band).

Anyways, I'd like to hardwire it in my car and the wifes so I can switch between the two. She has a VW Passat and there just isn't enough room above the RVM. Below the RVM in the center is the inspection sticker, to the right of that is the EZ Pass transponder.

To the left of the inspection sticker seems like it would be too much in my view. I suppose I could mount it directly below the inspection (I have it mounted here now) but its not very high or hidden (almost in the center of the windshield). Would a visor mount be better? I really want performance and can sacrifice stealth for that if needed.

Here are some pics of the windshield/RVM:

I plan on picking up the add-a-circuit and attempt to hardwire it myself. Never done anything like that, but I'm up for a challenge. That step by step guide someone posted made it look really easy.

Yoda of Radar

I say high and just to the left of the RVM if it won't fit above it, kind of like how I mount mine:

Experienced

From the pictures it looks like you don't have a dot matrix above the RVM so I would go above and center.

Good Citizen

Thanks for the replies. I tried to go above the RVM, but between the headliner and the top of the RVM, there is barely an inch clearance. If I put the V1 there and hold it, I wouldn't even be able to move the RVM, nevermind with the suction cups.

Even to the left & above doesn't seem to work well. From the pics it looks like it should, but the way the windshield curves, it just won't fit.

I think part of the reason is she had the windshield replaced. When they put the RVM back on, it was positioned too high. Even the inspection & ez pass seem to be out of position.

I might try to move the ez-pass and mount it immediately to the left of the inspection (or even below it) and then try to mount the V1 to the right of the RVM. Since the RVM will always be turned towards the driver, I should have enough clearance, but will probably have to get a CD.

Newcomer

Does this VW have a sunroof by any chance? If so, let me know and I can provide some pictures of my install on my VW

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by mtnhiker911 View Post
    Does this VW have a sunroof by any chance? If so, let me know and I can provide some pictures of my install on my VW
    Yes it does. I would be interested in seeing the pictures. Thanks.

Good Citizen

Looks like you can do the same I did on my STi, Grab the power from the map lights and feed the power line over the roof lining and mount it above the mirror.

I think It would work perfect for you.

Greg

Newcomer

I did something similar.....however the area above the rearview is curved in an odd way on VW's making the position difficult......

I installed on the side passinger taking the power from the sunroof motor (see attached pictures) and grounding the wire to the assembly.

Good Citizen

Thanks for the pics. I managed to get it mounted this weekend. I managed to get it just above the mirror like you have it. The suction cups are on the tint strip with the detector set just below it. Makes it very hard to see from the front and rear. I think I want the concealed display now though.

Old Timer

def hardwire the v1 and get a concealed display...