Experienced

Default Detected a security system

I'm a little bored at work, and this is not quite OT but close enough...

I pulled up to a strip mall the other day, and happened to park in front of a closed jewelry store. The V1 started going nuts with laser detection.

I was amused, because it was almost like those scenes in the movies where they spray a mist or fog to detect lasers... I did it by mistake with my trusty V1

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by gig103 View Post
    I'm a little bored at work, and this is not quite OT but close enough...

I pulled up to a strip mall the other day, and happened to park in front of a closed jewelry store. The V1 started going nuts with laser detection.

I was amused, because it was almost like those scenes in the movies where they spray a mist or fog to detect lasers... I did it by mistake with my trusty V1

Hmmm... most security systems I run into are K-band in stores (motion detectors), are you sure there were no neon lights anywhere in the strip-mall plaza it could have being going off on? It loves sounding off to the nearest neon sign.

Experienced

Thats crazy, sometime I'm passing nothing more than a neighborhood when my K goes off, it always gets me wondering.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
    Thats crazy, sometime I'm passing nothing more than a neighborhood when my K goes off, it always gets me wondering.
    Yeah, its mostly likely a motion-sensitive light, that operates (turns on) using a K band signal to detect movement/motion... sort of like an automatic-door opener... but instead of opening the door, it turns the light on.

Lead Foot

Default perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore View Post
    Yeah, its mostly likely a motion-sensitive light, that operates (turns on) using a K band signal to detect movement/motion... sort of like an automatic-door opener... but instead of opening the door, it turns the light on.
    Yes; but still a nice reminder to slow down. Speeding in/near residential areas is never good.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by mountainman View Post

That happens to me a decent amount. I'll usually go in to find the source and it usually turns out to be a speed sign.

Old Timer

neon signs = false laser alerts