Exclamation Just bought a V1, questions please...!

I just bought a used V1 for $300 with box, manual, and the original cord. Product is in great shape.
    problem is...its a version 1.7!

Did i get a good deal? or did i get ripped off?
    Is it okay to stay at 1.7 or is it really needed to go to v1.8?
    I live in California jsut to let you know.

thank you!

come on, someone please help me out

Power User

Type in your serial number and see what Mike Valentine has to say about your model. You have the V1.7 which is pretty good but isn't as good as the V1.8 which is the latest version.

Valentine One Upgrades

$300 is a bit much because you can get a returned V1 with the latest firmware for $359 plus S/H from Valentine Research.

Quote Originally Posted by <<JAZZY>> View Post
    Type in your serial number and see what Mike Valentine has to say about your model. You have the V1.7 which is pretty good but isn't as good as the V1.8 which is the latest version.

Valentine One Upgrades

$300 is a bit much because you can get a returned V1 with the latest firmware for $359 plus S/H from Valentine Research.

thanks for the response!
    V1 Description: Radar circuitry known in-house as V1.7 gives high performance on all radar bands. Also,it remembers your “mode” setting when shut off. Has stack of four LEDs on front panel for band identification. Front and rear laser.

Upgrade Recommendation: While this version is not quite up to today’s V1 standard for Ka, it’s almost always good enough, and always better than detectors from other makers. X and K performance is excellent. Upgrading merely to improve radar performance is not cost effective, in my opinion, unless you’re concerned about the POP Mode operating in your area. Upgrading does bring other benefits, including our latest laser warning (front and rear), which outperforms the competitors by a wide margin, and POP Protection. Also, you'll get the new Euro Mode.

that is what is said about my model of V1.

If you guys were me, what would you do? Get rid of this V1 and buy another one thats v1.8 or just stick with v1.7?
    Oh and how do i get the returned V1 for 359$ or whatever?

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by sam12345 View Post
    Oh and how do i get the returned V1 for 359$ or whatever?
    You have to call them and ask them for a Refurbed/Returned unit. You can only order a new one on the web site.

ok but if you were in my situation. what would you do? Just keep the V1.7 and deal with it? Or is the upgrade to V1.8 pretty important and make a noticable difference?

Sorry to keep asking. i just need to know by tommorow...whcih is 5 hours away....

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by sam12345 View Post
    ok but if you were in my situation. what would you do? Just keep the V1.7 and deal with it? Or is the upgrade to V1.8 pretty important and make a noticable difference?

Sorry to keep asking. i just need to know by tommorow...whcih is 5 hours away....
    I just bought my V1 about 3 weeks ago so difficult for me to answer that. For $59 more, you can get a "brand new" refurb that has been tuned by the factory and has the latest technology.

Personally, for an extra $59 for a refurb or $99 for a new unit, I would just buy a new one because if the one you have needs to be tuned, it will cost $45. At least with the new one, it will already be tuned and have a 1 year warranty.

Old Timer

x2

Speed Demon

I called, initially to order a refurbished unit. I was told there was a waiting list. I said, forget it. Let's just have a new one.

In your position, you don't have to be impatient like me. You can use the 1.7 while you wait however long for the new 1.8.

On the other hand, selling your 1.7 may be a bother. You have a unit now. I say evaluate carefully if you really want the upgrade to 1.8, or will the 1.7 serve you well for a few years? Perhaps it's most economical and efficient to wait for future upgrades in a year or two or three that really make the update worthwhile.