Banned

Default How good are these in the sun?

The V1 is the definite choice with a lot of BMW guys on my board and around town. Today at the Ulti Drive I saw one in on the dash of a 3er down in the IR cutout. Black dash in the middle of summer. That thing must heat up like no other.

It was not on a bracket either it was velcro'd on there. Personally I would take the loss in range to save the unit from torture. Wouldn't all that sun kill the range just as much as IR glass?

Yoda of Radar

This is the kind of situation where it would really be nice to have Mike V around to talk with. I'd like to know the details of any studies or literature they have on the effects of heat and sunlight on his devices.

Of course, I don't think anything would change his obvious recommendation, which is to not leave it in the sun when not in use, lol. But still, some quantifiable literature would be nice to see in order to better understand it.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Yoda of Radar

Valentine One Specifications

There you go, I am sure he has done extensive research before posting those numbers.

Generally though, the hotter it is, the worse it is for (most any) electronics, and most people on this site try to baby their RD's. Its little things like that which can help increase the longevity of an RD.

Experienced

If you can put it in the console or glove box when your not driving then it should be fine. Weve had 110* days these past few weeks and when I took the thing off my mount that mother could have cooked an egg. They can take a beating, I tell ya.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore
    Generally though, the hotter it is, the worse it is for (most any) electronics, and most people on this site try to baby their RD's. Its little things like that which can help increase the longevity of an RD.
    X2^

we had a hot day here last week and i left it up by accident while at work. when i remembered at lunch time to take it down and went out to take it down, it was pretty hot so i used an air vent to cool it.

it didnt do any harm im guessing as its picking up the same falses at the same time but i always remove it if i think its going to be a sunny day here because it can get very hot inside a locked car and id rather not take a chance.

if you take care of it, it will take are of you