Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default Optimum distance to pick up laser scatter and I/O from rabbit?

What's the optimum distance to keep the rabbit ahead so V1 can pick up laser scatter and I/O when it gets hit?

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by lordhawhaw View Post
    What's the optimum distance to keep the rabbit ahead so V1 can pick up laser scatter and I/O when it gets hit?
    Well, optimum range would right in front of you! Sorry...

I think what you mean is the range that you can still pick up the threat, without getting busted yourself.

With I/O, I tend to stay pretty far behind, but still maintain visual contact with my rabbit. I find this range tends to be right around 1/4 mile. Too much closer and you might be pressing your luck.

No idea with laser. Obviously it is MUCH harder to pick up. I'm not sure if there is an optimal range, because too far away and you can't detect it. But too close and the LEO can target you just as easily! I'd say around 1/8 mile??

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Gothenburg View Post
    Well, optimum range would right in front of you! Sorry...

I think what you mean is the range that you can still pick up the threat, without getting busted yourself.

With I/O, I tend to stay pretty far behind, but still maintain visual contact with my rabbit. I find this range tends to be right around 1/4 mile. Too much closer and you might be pressing your luck.

No idea with laser. Obviously it is MUCH harder to pick up. I'm not sure if there is an optimal range, because too far away and you can't detect it. But too close and the LEO can target you just as easily! I'd say around 1/8 mile??

So if you're several feet behind the rabbit there's a high chance to get busted too? Wow, that's two hits with one stone. Sometimes I find myself tailgating at times. It's good know.

Newcomer

I think the next generation of laser detectors should be remote drones.

These would mounted to your car and can be launched at the car or truck ahead of you and stick using suction cups. Then the remote drone/sensor can radio back lidar signals to your detector. LOL

Power User

At a minimum, I try and keep it to a car length for every 10mph, the safety "threshold". There really is no such thing as too far away. As long as you can see his brake lights. The terrain is the independent variable. If there are large hills, you will most likely need to be closer.

Speed Demon

Is 1 mile too far apart if you and the rabbit are the only cars on the road in the middle of nowhere?

Experienced

Not if it's FLAT and you have a good detector!

Speed Demon

BTW, what's V1's range around a curve? Not a sharp curve but a gradual curve on a highway?

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by VicRod74 View Post
    So if you're several feet behind the rabbit there's a high chance to get busted too? Wow, that's two hits with one stone. Sometimes I find myself tailgating at times. It's good know.
    I have been pulled over by CHP with one or more other cars, they motion for you to pull over then get the next guy.
    Was a long time ago and a warning.

Good Citizen

last weekend during my drive from st.louis to chicago. i picked up i/o from 6miles away. i was following the person infront of me i was almost tailing him pretty much. and i looked down at my odemeter to the first alert was at 143 miles to chicago and i got small blips untill then. and i finally reached him at 149 miles to chicago.. i was shocked at the distance.

i didnt believe people posting on the forums with 5miles+ alerts.. until i experienced it for myself. ..v1's rule.