Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: bay area users

Newcomer

Default bay area users

i've been using the v1 for a couple of months already and I've noticed that radars from the X band haven't been the police. Is this true for everyone else in the bay area? do you guys have X band disabled? Also, when the radar detects POP, what band does it show it on? And how many radar strength dots untill it means that it can be a threat? is l mode a good mode to use on the highway, or stick with A?

I don't believe X band is used in CA. (don't quote me on this) Everytime my v1 detects a LEO it's always triggered by Ka. I did encounter a speed sign which shot off k but never x.

As someone once posted, many cops in the bay don't drive with radar on. They seem to 'sneak' up behind you as you're driving. So keep scanning the rear as you're driving.

I always leave my v1 on the L setting unless I'm driving down to southern california then I change it to A.

Newcomer

I always leave my v1 on the L setting unless I'm driving down to southern california then I change it to A.
    Any reason why you choose A in So. Cal? I live in Riverside county and was also wondering which bands are used around here. I think CHP uses Ka since I've detected one while driving and saw him behind me. He wasn't targeting me though.

Newcomer

I can't speak for anyone else, but if i am driving a long way through the middle of nowhere (like from the bay area to so cal) I will put it on A because I am paranoid about getting the alert ASAP and there aren't enough falses to do anything more than wake me up and help me pay attention.

Once I hit the city though it is back to L.

Good Citizen

So far I have only encountered Ka used by the CHP and local cops. They do have K band speed signs as well as K band "traffic flow monitor radars" on hwy 280, and probably others as well. Laser is also used, but not quite as much as Ka.

It is my impression, based on 6 months spent in New Jersey, that the California cops aren't nearly as sophisticated in their use of radar. Some of them do still use the instant-on technique, but many just leave it on. Very helpful!

Also, far fewer cars with radar detectors here in CA compared to the east coast.

I have received K and Ka falses from leaky radar detectors also.

Quote Originally Posted by edge540
    Any reason why you choose A in So. Cal? I live in Riverside county and was also wondering which bands are used around here. I think CHP uses Ka since I've detected one while driving and saw him behind me. He wasn't targeting me though.
    i meant to say on the i-5 that i use A but once i hit LA, it's back to L.

Newcomer

so do you guys have x-band disabled? or still keep it on?

Radar Fanatic

X band is not used in CA/NV anymore probably well over 15 years so you may turn that puppy off!
    It does not matter what mode you use after X-off because logic modes were designed to filter X only, unless you ever decide to change some reprogramming functions especially because of the drone K band radar here.
    All CHP use Ka because a few years ago they weren't allowed to use radar at all so once approved they got all Ka.
    When a V1 picks up POP there is no specific indication as it comes on just as any other gradient signal.
    POP is used on K & Ka but your chances of running into it are probably slim to none unless you go to Nev.
    At one point NHP had plenty of MPH POP but Roy mentioned in Jan that NHP was sending all of their POP guns back to MPH on a recall because of interference they are experiencing with the car's fan motor.
    I don't know if they received them back or not.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by V1 Dave
    X band is not used in CA/NV anymore probably well over 15 years so you may turn that puppy off!
    Wow! That would make for a quieter detector, even compared to l or L modes. Sure the CHP has only Ka, and to be honest that is all I have run into so far, even local law enforcement.

But isn't there some chance that I'll encounter an old X band gun used by a local PD somewhere out in the sticks? It's not like the FCC disallowed the use of police radar in X band . . .

Radar Fanatic

im on vacation in santa monica and i have disabled my X band from reading and searching all the different posts here. im going to take a road trip with my buddies to vegas on sunday and ill keep the x band off but will toggle between A and big L.

ps-do they shoot radar in mexico? we were also considering going down there.