Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DIY: stealth V1 radar install *pics galore*

Not the most challanging of installs, but it did have it's complications. It's pretty straight forward, just relocating the functions/switches of the detector.

I'll be short but sweet. Basically, i found the concealed display offered by V1 as just a stupid selling factor. To me, the best place to get a look at your radar dislpay is up by the rear view mirror (where the V1 is traditionally located) or the gauge cluster... to minimize how far you take you eyes of the road. To me, having the radar hidden was the point of the concealed display, not where you look. So I decided to relocate my radar to the back of the car, for a few reasons.

1.) If i decide to leave my windows down when running errands, i don't have to worry about somebody reaching in and swiping my radar detector

2.) If a cop sees my radar detector and pulls me over for speeding, he is less likely to give me just a 'warning'

3.) I don't want my driving view cluttered with more then it needs

So with this, i relocated the detector to the rear of the car. This being said, radar waves travel through most materials (glass, flesh, leather) with the exception of metal. So by mounting my radar detector in the rear window, i have not lost my ability to trace radar waves. Laser is different, but when that goes off it's pretty much too late anyways. Given the pros i stated above, the reduced ability to detect laser from the front has been reduced (however rear laser detection has been increased)

first thing... this is a list of the things i did for the install:

1.) Installed detector at the rear window, passanger side center
    2.) Hardwire into my accessory power
    3.) Relocated the Buzzer/speaker to the front of the car
    4.) Relocated the volume control to the front of the car
    5.) Hardwired a mute function into my steering wheel buttons
    6.) Replaced my OEM rearview mirror with a 2 way mirror
    7.) Located the concealed display behind my rear viewmirror
    8.) Fabricated a mounting point to the rear passanger headrest
    9.) Made a detector cover to further conceal its location

a.) I am replacing my frequency band surface mount LED's with different colors for easier identification. From the factory all the LED's are red. (i.e. Laser = blue led, X-band = green, orange, yellow..etc.)

b.) Fabricating a concealed mount at the rear window making it difficult to tell the radar is in the rear window, even when looking at it. The suction cups on the rear window would be a dead giveaway.

And the install.
    Dismantled the guts of my V1 1.8

this is the buzzer/speaker that actually makes the noise, that's located at the front of the car, inside my rearview mirror.

I ran all the wires to above my headliner and down the c-pillar into the trunk. Instead of running several wires, i took a 10' printercable, cut the ends off it then soldered a less cumbersome connection on the end. I didn't want to solder things directly to the V1, because i still wanted it to be removable if i need to take it out for whatever reason.

here's the printer cable i used to run 11 wires from front to back above the headliner, the pin connector already soldered. Like i stated, i did this because it was cleaner then running 11 individual wires and making a mess with connectors etc.

The buzzer/speaker I replaced with a DC plug adapter. By putting the DC plug in I ran a couple wires to the front at the rearview mirror so my sound would be up front, not in back with the detector. Also this allowed me to plug/unplug that wire making the detector still removable.

I also wanted to incorporate the mute function so I tapped into the conealed display mute wire (it's a yellow wire that goes into the phone jack plug). By putting momentary switch ( other leg of the switch is ground(-)) it enables the mute. So i made a momentary switch behind one of my inactive steering wheel buttons. This now mutes my V1 without removing my hands from the wheel.

I forgot to take a picture of the momentary switch, it's pretty sweet though. I ripped apart an old keyboard and fabricated it with that.
    The switch was placed here on my the silicon board, beneath the R/T button located on the left hand side of my steering wheel. When i push that button, it closes the circuit to the momentary switch, then muting the v1.

since my OEM mirror dosen't allow any light through it, I had to replace it with a 2-way mirror. For this I went to CarQuest and purchased a generic replacement SIDE-VIEW mirror for a pick-up truck. Sideview mirrors are usually 2 way mirrors to prevent glare. when a light source is placed behind the mirror, it can be seen. In this case...the v1 concealed display.

After obtaining the 2 way mirror, i cut it to the same shape as my original using the OEM glass as a template.

Here's what the display looks like through the glass/mirror. again, the appearance will change when I change the LED's and figure out how to re-work the arrow indicator system. The volume control is also located inside my rearviw mirror, the control knob sticks out the of the mirror housing so i can still adjust the volume if need be.

I then cut and formed a piece of aluminum to mount the V1, using the headrest pegs as a mounting point.

as it sits in the car, it's level and clear of interior objects.

once the mounting piece was formed up I powdercoated it 'wrinkle black' to blend in with my interior a bit more.

Then I made a mold out of wood/foam to make a cover for the v1 to further disguise it from looking like a radar detector

The fit is pretty nice tight. The cover was formed out of Carbon Fiber. I cut the opening then to expose the optical recievers,then covered with vinyl (until i can come across the leather to match) and filled the holes with the factory v1 plastic covers.

Then preassemebled everything and this is the final look.

and that's it.

After driving around for a bit, theres a few things i will change in the future. I plan on remaking the cover for it to look even less like a detector. Plus i may change it's mounting location to the center tie down between the rear headrests, still lifting it 6"-8" off the parcel shelf. I want to do the relocation just for symetry in hiding it a bit more, eventhough technically it will be more exposed.

enjoy.

Good Citizen

That is quite an install !! :shock:

The steering wheel mute button is an excellent idea. Personally, I don't believe mounting the RD above the rearview mirror is very visible to others, especially compared to the mid-windshield location with dangling, coiled cig lighter cord that you see the rookies with. Just watch for a leaky RD false alarm, and check nearby cars in the mid-windshield vicinity for a cheap RD :wink:

Good job.

Advanced Member

That is a pimptastic install. Excellent job!

Speed Demon

That's a pretty intense installation. I'm just wondering if you were to add a remote audio adapter instead of dismantling your V1 for audio purposes would have eased the process? I'd rather risk taking apart the concealed display and/or the remote audio adapter than my V1. I used to have my V1 mounted in the the back of my old civic. I noticed when driving like that, my V1 wouldn't go off at places where known falses existed like it did when I had it mounted over my rearview mirror. Made me kind of weary so eventually I moved it back to the front. But Like you said it was nice not having to worry about someone stealing what they couldn't see!

Radar Fanatic

I had my V1 stuck in a tissue box on the rear deck of my Volvo for a couple of months. I can't say that I noticed any reduction in radar range in all. In fact my biggest save to date was in that configuration. It picked up Ka band over a slight hill and around a curve that was facing in the opposite direction on the NYS thruway. I was 20 over with loads of time to slow down.

The only reason I moved it back was because I didn't trust the laser detection. If I ever got a jammer I would probably do that again with Honda so as to keep a low profile.

Very nice work -- fantastic install in your MIII LAFENGAS!!!

Good Citizen

i believe the best install/best performance/ cheapest.. is what i have.

At the top of my winshield i have a 5% tint "glare strip". i than have my dector mounted behind this, up by the rearview mirrior. it is impossible to see that i have a detector from the outside of my car. and i have done multiple test and have seen no difference in detection (behind the tint, and not ) for a cop to see you have a detector, he has to look IN to your car, which not many do. I also have a conceld display mounted in the middle of my dash, so i dont have to look up to see warnings, all warnings are all eye level. I have a remote audio adaptor also, for easy muteing access. This set up is the best, you have the detector up top, where v1 recommends it. it is hidden, and u dont loose performance.

jordan

Good Citizen

Thanks for sharing your custom install. I think it looks great and I like your printer cable idea. Great work on the mirror too - I like that. Well done all around. 8)

Banned

Thanks for taking all that time to show us how to do a sweet install. You're appreciated on the board.

JTW

Newcomer

Default Concealed V1

Congrats on your ingenious install. I also have a BMW.

here is my email: would you send me yours. I would have a few questions.

lesyeuxquibrillent@hotmail.com