Good Citizen

Default How do you know if it's a direct hit from the rear (Ka/Radar

Story.

I was on a pretty straight road today and I came around a corner and I dropped it in 3rd and gunned it. 60MPH--70MPH--80MPH ::shift into 4th:: as soon as I hit 4th gear I saw a LEO coming towards me about 60 yards away.

I braked very hard (not enough to trigger ABS) but I dropped my speed very quickly (thank you A-Spec rotors!). I'm doing the speed limit as we cross, I'm still thinking "Oh ****, I'm getting pulled over"

Mind you, the V1 has stayed quiet the whole time.

We cross and about that time I get the Ka alert with almost full bars coming from the rear, I duck off into some side roads mainly down in 2nd and 3rd gears and get home pretty quickly.

My question is -- How do you know if it's a direct hit from the rear. He had already passed me and was up the road somewhat (40-50 yards) but as soon as I got the alert it was already at full strength.

Could he have been using rear radar to see if I sped back up after we crossed?

Could he have been targeting a car in front of him, if so -- why would my radar strength be full?

(BTW: I have no doubts that my front radar sensor works, I had a J'd out Ka alert earlier today (Correctly J'd) and of course I pick up K and X like no other)

Good Citizen

My guess is he was cruising with his radar off, saw you coming and flipped on the radar to get your speed. It may have taken him the time until you crossed to turn it on, and he may have turned it on facing rearward to get your speed. Just a guess . . .

I did pass a LEO on the side of the road facing towards me with Ka on, and the signal wasn't nearly as strong as I expected, maybe 4 - 5 bars even at 10 yards range. But when I continued on so I was behind his car, I got a full-strength rear alert. Clearly he had been waiting on the side of the road clocking cars approaching his hideout from behind.

Good Citizen

Yeah, I mean if he had switched it on before we passed (in speeding time he had an eternity!) then I feel strongly I would've gotten an alert.

It seems like it took him "too long" to finally radar me, if that's who he was radaring.

Maybe he's the one who's got the delayed reaction time :twisted: and it's not me

Edit: Your remote display is wonderful. I need to get some new velco for it, but other than that it's been working just as expected.

Professional

You did not get a ticket and that all that matters.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by lifespeed
    I did pass a LEO on the side of the road facing towards me with Ka on, and the signal wasn't nearly as strong as I expected, maybe 4 - 5 bars even at 10 yards range. But when I continued on so I was behind his car, I got a full-strength rear alert. Clearly he had been waiting on the side of the road clocking cars approaching his hideout from behind.
    That's happenened to me on several occasions with VA State Troopers. I know everyday where they sit during rush hour and sure enough I can even see him. But like you said, the signal isn't nearly as strong as I thought it would be, until I pass him. Funny thing is, I know he's not gunning the traffic going the opposite direction, since all he's trying to do is catch HOV (High Occupancy Vehicles - 2 or more people) Lane violators. :?

Good Citizen

A-Spec is the Acura "kit" for the car.

It's about a $3000 accessory package that includes:

- High preformance larger slotted rotors and pads
    - Lowering springs and appropriate shocks (1" lower all around)
    - ABS lip spoilers + side skirts
    - ABS high wing spoiler

I don't have the entire A-Spec package, just the brake upgrade kit and the high wing spoiler (not pictured in my sig, i'm installing it Friday) I got the brake kit for $400 after I bought the car from eBay (the brake kit, not the car. I got that new from Acura of Memphis with 7 miles on it) and I got the high wing spoiler from Acura of Escondido for $460 shipped.

If you end up buying all the pieces parts you'll save some money.

Bodykit + wing - $1200 (this is all pre-painted and ready to bolt on)
    Rotors/pads - $600
    Springs/Shocks - $600

That is.. of course.. if you do the work yourself.

Professional

I say he got you from the rear. Most people don't know that they can shoot radar out the back. I had that happen to me once. Got pegged with Ka instant on from the front. It stopped. We passed. Then, got pegged from the rear.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by lifespeed
    My guess is he was cruising with his radar off, saw you coming and flipped on the radar to get your speed. It may have taken him the time until you crossed to turn it on, and he may have turned it on facing rearward to get your speed. Just a guess . . .
    100% agreed