My 14 month old pre-POP V1 appears to be developing the dreaded "out of tune" problem where it misses some K band bogeys. So far it's happened twice in the past month, one time on a known K band speed sign. During that time it's also detected many K bogeys, both real LEO and falses, so it doesn't seem to be really bad, yet. To be fair, it could have been the bogeys themselves that were out of tune, but 2 in one month has me a bit concerned.
I've also seen more X band falsing, even though I'm in L mode. I wonder if an out of tune LO can cause this as well.
Since I'll likely be sending my baby to VR for a checkup in the next couple weeks, I'm pondering whether to get the $75 POP/Euro upgrade while I'm at it. I've read mixed reviews of the 3.825 firmware. Some say it's great, some say it falses less, some say it's still buggy, some say the J feature works fine, some say it still junks out LEOs. So needless to say I'm :? :? :? Having access to a great forum like this has its benefits (tons of information) and its drawbacks (tons of information begetting even more questions).
So, some questions to toss out to the V1 crowd:
1. Is there any real benefit to upgrading a pre-POP (3.813) V1 to the latest and greatest, if POP isn't used in this area? Add to that that I sometimes drive in CT, NY and NJ which are rumored or confirmed to have or are getting MPH guns w/POP.
2. Does POP lead to more falsing? I know I can turn POP off if necessary.
3. What's the consensus on the J feature? Still too buggy, or does it work fine in 3.825?
4. Any other things I should know about? I remember Sethy mentioning something about the bogey lock tones in L mode in 3.825 not always working.
5. Some bugs/"undocumented features" I've seen in my V1 include a phantom Ka bogey during strong K or Ka encounters, and in some Ka encounters, two arrows lighting up for one bogey. Are these addressed in newer updates?
6. If I order the upgrade, does VR do a "tune up" as part of the upgrade, or should I include a note with the unit outlining my concerns?
7. Last but not least, I lost all my V1 accessories (lighter plug, cord, windshield mount) in a house fire. If I order the upgrade, do they send new accessories? I know they do if you send an older unit where they swap you a new one, but my V1 is newer. I'd like to replace the accessories while I'm at it.