Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default V1: Upgrade from 1.8 to POP2?

Information on this one seems to be pretty spotty so I'd like to get a consolidated thread going.

I have the V1 1.8 without POP and I'm considering getting the upgrade to POP2. I'm not so much interested in POP itself since it isn't used here yet. (And honestly, it sounds like a technology that could easily die-out if they keep having problems with it.) What I am interested in is the best sensitivity to instant-on operating well ahead of me on the highway. Here are the questions that I see as relevant:

-Would it make any technical sense for the POP upgrade to do any better with far-off instant on than my current circuitry?

-Does K-band falsing increase or is it pretty much the same?

-Does the Ka band "Junk" feature drive you nuts or can you live with it?

I'm willing to pay the $55 if it'll do what I want, but I'm also afraid that I might do it and end up with something that actually suits my needs worse than before. Comments?

Radar Fanatic

Tim,

I don't know first hand because mine is coming next week, however I have heard that POP makes it more sensitive. I have also heard the false J code is rare, it is mainly designed for a passing junk unit. I don't think there is more false alarms but if there are you can shut off POP with section J.
    You might want to send a copy of what you just wrote to VR sales.
    If you do post your results to us.

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by V1 Dave
    Tim,

I don't know first hand because mine is coming next week, however I have heard that POP makes it more sensitive. I have also heard the false J code is rare, it is mainly designed for a passing junk unit. I don't think there is more false alarms but if there are you can shut off POP with section J.
    Actually I like the Junk feature. Ive had mine for 2 weeks and the J feature has gone off 2 times.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by V1 Dave
    Tim,

Sending this to VR sales is a good idea. I'll do that and see what I get back.

**Edit**
    Here's what I sent them:

"I have a few questions that I was hoping you could answer about the upgrade from 1.8 to 1.8 with POP.

I have the V1 1.8 without POP and I'm considering getting the upgrade to POP2. I'm not so much interested in POP itself since it isn't used here yet. (And honestly, it sounds like a technology that could easily die-out if they keep having problems with it.) What I am interested in is the best sensitivity to instant-on operating well ahead of me on the highway. Here are the questions that I see as relevant:

-Would it make any technical sense for the POP upgrade to do any better with far-off instant on than my current circuitry?

-Does K-band falsing increase or is it pretty much the same?

-How long does it take for the V1 to recognize a Ka false and terminate the alert with the "J" display? One second? Five seconds?

I'm willing to pay the $55 if it'll do what I want, but I'm also afraid that I might do it and end up with something that actually suits my needs worse than before.

I appreciate any feedback that you can give me.

Tim"

Founder of Stealthvation

My J has come on about 4 times since I have had the V1
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Speed Demon

Mine has never come on. Though I've only owned it for what, week?
    Richard

Good Citizen

For me, the J feature is worth the whole pop upgrade. Nothing better than less fake KA alerts.

Founder of Stealthvation

True. I have always like VR upgrades. Most of them have been worthwile. i can not wait until I see how the detectors perform against KU. I would guess VERY well since it is a lot like x band and we all know how well detectors detect X band

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by happya$$
    True. I have always like VR upgrades. Most of them have been worthwile. i can not wait until I see how the detectors perform against KU. I would guess VERY well since it is a lot like x band and we all know how well detectors detect X band
    And with any luck NOBODY ELSE will use Ku band for things like door openers.

Founder of Stealthvation

I highly doubt that

buyradardetectors rocks!