Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Weird Falsies....

Last week while driving on the expressway the V1 started going crazy with ka falsies. The arrows pointed forward, then back, then sideways etc with the bogey counter all over the place.

This went on FOR MILES and was driving me crazy.
    There was a lot of traffic on the road BTW.

Initially, I didn't see anything odd around me and like I said the thing was just going nuts.
    I tried a POR a couple of times with no success.

Finally, in my rear mirror I see a very high end Audi sports car coming up and then getting off the highway.
    This was like a full sized version of the smaller Audi that looks kind of like a Porsche Carrera. I see a lot of exotic cars where I live (Long Island NY) but never this one before.

So anyway, once he was gone the interference stopped.

I always get the laser falsies when Infinity SUV are in the area, but I have never gotten anything like this, especially on ka band.

Do those cars have some kind of radar collision avoidance system?
    If so, and it becomes popular, our lives are going to become miserable.

Maybe he had a radar jammer in it?

Ideas?

Experienced

Default Re: Weird Falsies....

Stupid Audi! Infinities too!

Quote Originally Posted by ATSRADAR View Post
    Stupid Audi! Infinities too!

Yea, but on ka band??
    I've gotten the Infinity crap on laser, but never on ka band and NEVER a solid, going crazy like behavior that I saw during this trip.

It was like I had 5 cop cars surrounding me!

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by steve+stang2003 View Post
    Yea, but on ka band??
    I've gotten the Infinity crap on laser, but never on ka band and NEVER a solid, going crazy like behavior that I saw during this trip.

It was like I had 5 cop cars surrounding me!
    Just got off the phone with VR. Some Audi's have an on-board computer for collision avoidance on K band. She said there is no cure at this time. That doesn't explain the Ka though. Maybe the chump had a cheap detector you couldn't see. V1 can spot those from the moon.
    Last edited by ATSRADAR; 10-03-2008 at 09:12 AM.

Newcomer

I can almost gurantee you he had a piece of S%$# Cobra RD... I had the same exact thing happen to me on a local street 3 days ago but with an ACURA... when he pulled up next to me at the stop light, I could see the RD mounted in the center of his windshield.

Just got off the phone with VR. Some Audi's have an on-board computer for collision avoidance on K band. She said there is no cure at this time. That doesn't explain the Ka though. Maybe the chump had a cheap detector you couldn't see. V1 can spot those from the moon.
    It's possible it might have been K band because I think it was fluctuating between k and ka, in fact that makes sense. It was really going crazy though.
    My recollection of it is a little cloudy.
    Like I said there was a lot of traffic so I basically turned the volume down but the thing was lit up like a Xmas tree.

It was definitely an Audi and definitely that particular car which was causing all the grief because as soon as it got off the highway, the interference was gone.
    Last edited by steve+stang2003; 10-03-2008 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sarge471 View Post
    I can almost gurantee you he had a piece of S%$# Cobra RD... I had the same exact thing happen to me on a local street 3 days ago but with an ACURA... when he pulled up next to me at the stop light, I could see the RD mounted in the center of his windshield.
    Could be, but I see a lot of Cobra's and while they will interfere, I have never seen the V1 go nuts like this.
    Bogey counter counting up, all arrows going crazy etc.

Like I said, it was like I had 5 cops surrounding me.

FWIW the Audi for the most part was at least 1/8 mile or so behind me because he had those white lights on and I never saw him in the mirror until I happened to catch him getting off the highway.

Real strange.

Experienced

It's possible it might have been K band, in fact that makes sense.
    My recollection of it is a little cloudy.
    Like I said there was a lot of traffic so I basically turned the volume down but the thing was lit up like a Xmas tree.

It was definitely an Audi and definitely that particular car which was causing all the grief because as soon as it got off the highway, the interference was gone.
    I hope we don't see too many of those on the road.

How close were you when you first picked up the Audi? I'm just wondering how strong the signal is.

I hope we don't see too many of those on the road.

How close were you when you first picked up the Audi? I'm just wondering how strong the signal is.
    He was well behind me, maybe 1/8th of a mile or so.
    Maybe more.

There was a lot of traffic and he never got close enough for me to see him in the rear view mirror.
    Like I said he had those very bright white driving lights and even though it was late afternoon, I would have seen him if he got close enough.

I sure hope whatever is in that car doesn't catch on with the other car makers because it will be a nightmare for radar detector owners.

Experienced

He was well behind me, maybe 1/8th of a mile or so.
    Maybe more.

There was a lot of traffic and he never got close enough for me to see him in the rear view mirror.
    Like I said he had those very bright white driving lights and even though it was late afternoon, I would have seen him if he got close enough.

I sure hope whatever is in that car doesn't catch on with the other car makers because it will be a nightmare for radar detector owners.
    That technology has to be expensive. I wouldn't look for it in all cars. Cadilac has a similar feature but I don't think it affects RD's. I would have thought that the Audi would not either because in order to use ranging the radar needs frequency modulation. It's different than traffic radar. But I guess if it's on the same frequency the V1 still picks it up. Dang-it!