Default iPod adapter and falsies....

I have a Belkin RF iPod adapter that plugs into the cigar lighter socket and transmits the iPod audio via RF into the factory system.
    I realize this is not the best solution but I like my stock system etc.

Anyway, I find that when I tune to low end of the FM band, like 88.x or even 89.x it interferes with the V1 giving me a constant X beep every second or so, but only in rural areas, which is weird.
    Use the same frequencies in metro areas and no falsies from the V1.

Unplugging the adapter stops the falsies.

Anyone see anything like this?

Professional

Default Re: iPod adapter and falsies....

Quote Originally Posted by steve+stang2003 View Post
    I have a Belkin RF iPod adapter that plugs into the cigar lighter socket and transmits the iPod audio via RF into the factory system.

Anyway, I find that when I tune to low end of the FM band, like 88.x or even 89.x it interferes with the V1 giving me a constant X beep every second or so, but only in rural areas, which is weird.
    Use the same frequencies in metro areas and no falsies from the V1.

Unplugging the adapter stops the falsies.

Anyone see anything like this?
    Try a ferrite choke core, you can get them at radio shack.

I think the problem is with the adapter's antenna circuitry producing extremely high frequency (microwave) harmonics. Engineers in the electronics industry have been made aware of this during the past few years since the microwave harmonics can blind radio telescopes when electronic devices which unintentionally generate microwave radiation are used by passengers in high flying planes.

Radar Fanatic

What's the power source for your V1? I know with radio (CB,HAM,ETC) a clean connection is important due to "electrical noise" from other components. If the two devices are sharing a fuse or ground you may very well have self created interference.

Does the adapter let you choose higher freq.? Might be a way to confirm or rule out the harmonics (not sure on the math of where you'd have to be for it to work though)

Thanks guys!
    To answer all in one post:

1. Different power sources. The iPod adapteris plugged into the cigarette lighter the V1 is hardwired to the lights in the rear view mirror. They are both fused and are different circuits. Not sure about the ground though.

2. If I get out of the 88.x range, the problem goes away.

I was thinking of hanging a scope on the B+ and seeing if there is any noise on it but I think it's an RF/Microwave problem.

Radar Fanatic

Thanks guys!
    To answer all in one post:

1. Different power sources. The iPod adapteris plugged into the cigarette lighter the V1 is hardwired to the lights in the rear view mirror. They are both fused and are different circuits. Not sure about the ground though.

2. If I get out of the 88.x range, the problem goes away.

I was thinking of hanging a scope on the B+ and seeing if there is any noise on it but I think it's an RF/Microwave problem.
    Yeah it definitely sounds like an RF issue. Seems like the simplest solution is just changing the freq. of the adapter. With the two devices placed so far away I highly doubt that it's a dirty ground.

Highly sensitive electronics can be quirky when it come to RF sometimes.

Lead Foot

There aren't aftermarket iPod integration kits suitable for your car's factory head unit?