Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default Questions about V1 and laser and a friendly reminder

I got a few questions about V1 and laser. The first is, how far away should I be able to detect a Trailblazer's 3rd brake light? Secondly, does the V1 have a laser filter for falses? Cause the brake light set mine off, but only for like 1 second. (well, one full cycle of the sound, however long that is).

The friendly reminder is, if you're the only car around, no matter how good your detector is instant on will screw you.
    Richard

Good Citizen

I agree...the instant on is killer, and there is very little that one can do.

I guess its worse than pop almost?

Radar Fanatic

Whenever I get the Trailblazer false I'm usually within a hundred feet of it or so. I sometimes see them farther up and wait for the false but it doesn't come.

Speed Demon

I think so. What reminded me is a trap set, 10 feet from a 55 zone but in a 35 zone. The guy was hidden so well that I saw him hide, and then came back to make a pass to test my detection, and I couldn't see him...even though I knew exactly where he was I couldn't see him. Either way he got a nice blast of my euro quality high beams though :twisted: But it did make me realize that I would have been toast if I hadn't seen him earlier (2/10 of a mile away I get a 9 bar K blast and then once i get about 5 feet in front of him he shuts it off).
    Richard

Good Citizen

Exactly.

This is what I was talking about when I posted the subject of POP---are radar detectors done??? Do a search of my posts...youll see it. A lot of good responses in the thread.

Speed Demon

However, if there were another car around, I would have detected him getting the other guy.
    Richard

Advanced Member

If I am sitting behind a Trailblazer at a stoplight, it goes off constantly until they release the brakes...

Jim

Good Citizen

This is what Mike Valentine says about the trailblazers 3rd brake light and laser falses. The V1 does process laser for falses. Original thread

"The Trailblazer/Envoy thing is caused by neon in the CHMSL. It's a tough nut to crack. The ignition repetition rate is in the many kHz range, which is far outside the normal laser gun rate. However, there is a "squegging" of the neon plasma that occurs at a hundreds-per-second rate that fools the laser detection circuits, since these events repeat in the expected time range for police laser pulses. We're working on this (and have been for years), but there's nothing to report as yet.

A growing-bigger problem now seems to be laser assisted "Intelligent" cruise controls on Infinity FX35, FX45, and QX56 SUVs. What a PItA. They perfectly replicate laser speed-gun signals. We're working on that one, too!"

From page 3 of that thread:

"The Z8 actually has neon (not LED) lighting. AFAIK, there have never been any reported problems with LED tail lamp or CHMSL interference with a V1. LED lamp photon output is very slow rise-time (~100 microseconds) compared to a laser-gun pulse (a few nanoseconds) and is easily filtered out in V1's processing circuitry. And, more importantly, the spectral content of visible LED lamps has zero near-infrared spectral content. No near-IR, ... no interference! For these reasons, LED lamps are my favorite new technology for stop, turn and CHMSL lighting.

The neon interference comes from the fact that neon plasma has light emmission spectral output in the near-infrared region as well as in visible wavelengths. Red color filters for neon tubes readily pass the near-infrared output as well as the red visible light. Yellow colored neon lamps have a phosphor coating that blocks the near-IR output from them.

And, the typical ignition source for neon is some sort of high-voltage pulsating power supply. The rise-time of the photon output is very fast (~10 nanoseconds), which easily mimics a laser-gun pulse."

Good Citizen

Not to open up a hornets nest here....but why is this not a problem with the x50? :P :twisted: :wink:

Speed Demon

So no need to be alarmed that I didn't get a laser warning until I was very close (maybe 2 car lengths) to the rear of the trailblazer? Oh, and it's not a problem with the X50 since it can't pick up laser worth beams. Why is POP falsing not a problem with the V1? :twisted:
    Richard