Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Almost Banned

Default Do all V1's look alike regardless of their rev?

Just curious if you can tell from looking at a unit if its really old or not.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Do all V1's look alike regardless of their rev?

It looks like my old 1.7, yet I don't see the rear laser sensor, which is normally located below the rear antenna. I thought older V1s without laser detection had a thinner case similar to that of the newer V1s. Just to be sure go to the VR website and go to updates and enter your serial number. That way you will know exactly what you have.

Looks old to me.

GTO_04

Old Timer

yea thats an older v1 1.7 because its huge..the earlier 1.7's were the same size as the 1.8's i believe and then when laser was added it got bigger

Almost Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hockey005 View Post
    yea thats an older v1 1.7 because its huge..the earlier 1.7's were the same size as the 1.8's i believe and then when laser was added it got bigger
    so that one doesnt have laser detection?
    I don't have a serial to check it, its just from a photo. Thats why I'm asking

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by RadarKid View Post
    Just curious if you can tell from looking at a unit if its really old or not.

Here is the auction where the image came from
    <EBAY LINK REMOVED>

Whats funny is that the seller wont give out the serial number. He said that he had another one for sale before, gave the serial number only to find out it was "stolen" by a potential buyer instead of the actual buyer. Ummm..warranty is only good for 1 year. Warranty is also good for the original buyer and is non-transferable.

People accused him of selling a stolen unit. Either way, its fishy and I wouldnt touch that auction with a 10-foot pole.

In regards to the V1, the boogey count is in a different location as well as the text above the knob from the current ones.

Here is another V1 with the different location but with the rear laser sensor at the bottom

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*EDIT*
    Got a response from the seller. He gave me the serial number

Serial Number 5690190347

V1 Description: Covers X, K, and all of Ka (33.4-36.0 GHz, sometimes called “superwide”). Laser warning is front-only.

Comment: Finds all radars on road today; great on X and K, just okay on Ka--which gets to be more of a problem with each passing day now that Ka has become the fastest-growing radar type. This early, front-only, laser-warning performance was substantially better that the average competitor in its day, but we’ve surpassed it, in a small way some time ago, and now in a large way.

Upgrade Recommendation: We’re uncomfortable now with the Ka performance of these early “superwide” units. We’ve made major steps up in Ka since then, and Ka alerts are now numerous. If you value performance, we advise upgrading. You will also enjoy far fewer Ka false alarms. Upgrades add our latest front-and-rear laser warning; also “internal” Mode Memory, LEDs for band identification, and POP Protection and Euro Mode.

After me informing him, he now posted the serial number.
    Last edited by iazybandit; 11-13-2008 at 07:23 AM.

Almost Banned

I know, thats the one I'm looking at.
    I purposely didnt post the link because I thought it was against the rules.
    Just the photo to ask the question.

I canceled my bid cuz the schmuck wouldnt even give me the copy/pasted readout from the S/N info
    Last edited by RadarKid; 11-13-2008 at 07:16 AM.

Old Timer

oo i see..well RK if i were u i would get the 1.8 instead of the 1.7 just cuz its newer

Almost Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hockey005 View Post
    oo i see..well RK if i were u i would get the 1.8 instead of the 1.7 just cuz its newer
    I just heard a lot of people saying that the PRE-POP versions were better. No? Maybe I should just bite the bullet and order a refurb from Valentine with a 30trial

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by RadarKid View Post
    I know, thats the one I'm looking at.
    I purposely didnt post the link because I thought it was against the rules.
    Just the photo to ask the question.

I canceled my bid cuz the schmuck wouldnt even give me the copy/pasted readout from the S/N info
    If it is against rules, mods can edit the link.

As for serial #, I posted it in my post above. I emailed him and he gave it to me. Like hockey said, get a new one. According to serial # he gave me (he posted it in auction now) there is X, K and its OKAY on Ka. There is only front laser.

Here is the info on the unit..

Serial Number 5690190347

V1 Description: Covers X, K, and all of Ka (33.4-36.0 GHz, sometimes called “superwide”). Laser warning is front-only.

Comment: Finds all radars on road today; great on X and K, just okay on Ka--which gets to be more of a problem with each passing day now that Ka has become the fastest-growing radar type. This early, front-only, laser-warning performance was substantially better that the average competitor in its day, but we’ve surpassed it, in a small way some time ago, and now in a large way.

Upgrade Recommendation: We’re uncomfortable now with the Ka performance of these early “superwide” units. We’ve made major steps up in Ka since then, and Ka alerts are now numerous. If you value performance, we advise upgrading. You will also enjoy far fewer Ka false alarms. Upgrades add our latest front-and-rear laser warning; also “internal” Mode Memory, LEDs for band identification, and POP Protection and Euro Mode.

For the amount you spend on this unit and for the upgrade, you might as well buy a new one from V1 and get warranty
    Last edited by iazybandit; 11-13-2008 at 07:29 AM.

Almost Banned

Quote Originally Posted by iazybandit View Post
    If it is against rules, mods can edit the link.

As for serial #, I posted it in my post above. I emailed him and he gave it to me. Like hockey said, get a new one. According to serial # he gave me (he posted it in auction now) there is X, K and its OKAY on Ka. There is only front laser.

Here is the info on the unit..

Serial Number 5690190347

For the amount you spend on this unit and for the upgrade, you might as well buy a new one from V1 and get warranty
    yea, he just gave it to me too.
    I'm glad I canceled my bid. What do refurbs go for from V1?