Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Almost Banned

Default Why is the rear antenna weaker than the front? Just size?

I made a few approaches to an LEO hiding on the interstate running what sometimes seemed like I/O, but I'm not sure if it was constant and just loss in signal every so often.

I made passes heading TOWARDS him on opposite side of the highway median, and had probably 1/2 mile of detection, but passing him on the same part of highway he was on, I only got about 1/4 mile (if that) from the rear antenna on my V1.
    Maybe he was deliberately aiming OVER to the other side of the median for cars coming at him? That'd be wierd though...and where he was hiding was just over the crest of a hill (great place to get those coming up over the hill who don't see him till its too late.)

Why is the rear weaker on detection? Is it the size difference of the antennas?
    I got my first blip from him at the green dot heading towards him (the red one).
    Last edited by RadarKid; 12-14-2008 at 07:33 PM.

Power User

Default Re: Why is the rear antenna weaker than the front? Just size?

I think ti's a combination of the antenna size, the amount of processing power given to it, and also the fact that due to having to look through your car it produces a "tunnel vision" effect.

On Ka-band the rear antenna is significantly less sensitive.

Almost Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jdong View Post
    I think ti's a combination of the antenna size, the amount of processing power given to it, and also the fact that due to having to look through your car it produces a "tunnel vision" effect.

On Ka-band the rear antenna is significantly less sensitive.
    disappointing considering that the "rear" antenna is one of the V1's main selling points, and my 9500i with just a FWD facing antenna had great rear detection too.

Speed Demon

The only way to prove if the rear really is weaker is to mount (or hold) the detector backwards, so it has the same "view" that the front has and approach the source forwards both times and see which one alerts first, and by how much to get an idea. Driving the other way is changing angles of fire on the gun, the orientation and position of the detector is like 50 feet off from your previous path and many other variables (such as mentioned about "looking" out the back of the car, vs the front horn getting the ample "view" out the front windshield). If you have a concealed display this is much easier to do, but the sound should be enough to tell when the alert goes off.

Also, remember, a detector that has no rear antenna doesnt have ANY "rear detection" its picking up reflections of signal from in front of it.

Almost Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Paperlantern View Post
    Also, remember, a detector that has no rear antenna doesnt have ANY "rear detection" its picking up reflections of signal from in front of it.
    perhaps...but the 9500i always impressed me on rear detection

Radar Fanatic

On 35.5 Ka, my rear antenna is noticeably more sensitive than the front antenna, at least with off-axis signals. On 34.7 reception is identical with both antennas. I verified that with multiple runs against a speed sign with Stalker radar.

GTO_04

Power User

Having a -110dB rear antenna is better than having no antenna at all...

Furthermore, the key advantage of the rear antenna on the V1 is for direction -- that is a feature that works regardless of the relative sensitivity.

Almost Banned

Furthermore, the key advantage of the rear antenna on the V1 is for direction -- that is a feature that works regardless of the relative sensitivity.
    most times...unless its getting confused in the city by deflections

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by RadarKid View Post
    most times...unless its getting confused in the city by deflections

Most of the times the directional indication for me has been very accurate. It's much more useful information to me than the frequency display or silencing 25% of a police radar band. ;-)

Two can play at trolling detectors for fun...

Almost Banned

Most of the times the directional indication for me has been very accurate. It's much more useful information to me than the frequency display or silencing 25% of a police radar band. ;-)

Two can play at trolling detectors for fun...
    Don't go zombie on me. I'm not trolling. I'm keeping the V1, and I refused to use lockout in case you weren't aware