Advanced Member
    5680 Oakbrook Parkway Suite 149 Norcross, GA

Default To upgrade 1.7 V1 or not? What do I do?

Never had no complaints about the performance but just wondering if I am missing some KA alerts & never know it. Is it worth $189 to upgrade? It has served me well the last 6 years only returning to the factory for the "airport protection" laser anti false upgrade a few months after being purchased new in 1999.

Software: 2695

Status Report on Your Valentine One
    Serial Number *********
    V1 Description: Radar circuitry known in-house as V1.7 gives high performance on all radar bands. Also,it remembers your “mode” setting when shut off. Has stack of four LEDs on front panel for band identification. Front and rear laser.

Upgrade Recommendation: While this version is not quite up to today’s V1 standard for Ka, it’s almost always good enough, and always better than detectors from other makers. X and K performance is excellent. Upgrading merely to improve radar performance is not cost effective, in my opinion, unless you’re concerned about the POP Mode operating in your area. Upgrading does bring other benefits, including our latest laser warning (front and rear), which outperforms the competitors by a wide margin, and POP Protection. Also, you'll get the new Euro Mode.

Radar Fanatic

That's an interesting comment about the "airport protection" upgrade. Sounds like the problem that the RX65 has with airport radar. I didn't realize that VR had already been down thar road with what I'm assuming is the same problem.

Anyway, some people on the board really love their 1.7 units. They are reported to be much quieter than the newest versions. I'm willing to bet that Ka sensitivity would be appreciably better after 6 years of development, though. You probably don't need to be all that worried about POP unless you are in an area that is known to use those MPH units. NY, UT, and I think CT have them along with some others.

If you have the money you might consider keeping the 1.7 and buying a 1.8 outright so that you can compare the two. If you don't like the 1.8 you can send it back within 30 days for a refund and if you keep it you would have the 1.7 as a reliable backup. On the other hand, you might be better off waiting a bit longer since they haven't licked the 16ms version of POP. If it takes another hardware upgrade to take care of it then they will only ask you for more money for the upgrade. I guess now that I think about it I would wait.

Advanced Member
    5680 Oakbrook Parkway Suite 149 Norcross, GA

Still kind of scared of the POP falses so I might "test drive" one for 30 days first. Working too much to do it right now.

Professional

if i had a 1.7, i would upgrade...

but i dont, so i wont. i'll wait till V1.9

Professional

I have 2 valentines one at 1.8/no pop and the other is a 1.7 with the exact same firmware as the one you have and I like the 1.7 better.

My 1.7 falses less than the 1.8 I have. As far as detection between the 2, I can not tell any difference.
    When I was involved with the GOL testing last month I would have both units on at times and both would go off within a millasecond of each other.
    I was impressed how well the older version performed compared to my 1.8

Laser detection was the same other than 1.7 will NOT detect stealth mode but you have to remember stealth mode was not around when that unit was made.

As far as KA everytime I have been hit with KA the 1.7 has alerted me the same time as my 1.8

The Veil guy and I were having a discussion about the 1.7 and he has one as well and we both talked about how well that unit still performs today.
    Like Veil guy said that version of the 1.7 is still one hell of a detector.

With the exception of not detecting stealth laser detection I will put my 1.7 up against the RX65 or 8500 x50 any day!

If POP and stealth laser are being used in your area then I guess I would recommend the upgrade.
    Where I live I do not have to worry about POP or stealth laser at this time.

I personally like my 1.7 better only if it was smaller like my 1.8

As suggested you can always try out the new version for 30 days and judge for yourself which one you like better.

Radar Fanatic

Definitely try it out for 30 days as here is another vote for the 1.7 being superior.
    VR also has a policy if you upgrade and don't like the new one they trade back.
    Just like boomerman I could not tell a performance difference as alerts were within a millisecond of each other.
    3.825 flaws: Loss of bogy lock tone on advanced logic mode.
    Possible "J"unk alert still junking out real LEO's.
    Laser detection almost too sensitive (I noticed when I had my 3.818 I picked up much more laser falsing. I don't think my 1.7 picks up laser cruise control but it still works on certain neon signs.
    And my biggest problem that sent the 3.818 back was multiple bogy's on single K band speed signs & guns.
    kpatz & I were having a discussion and figured out that this started with POP.