Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default How hot can V1 take?

The thread for new V1 users seems dead, so I'll just ask here.

How hot does it needs to be outside before I have to be concerned to have some cold air blowing to the V1?

Default Re: How hot can V1 take?

Don't let the V1 (or any other RD for that matter) bake in sunlight on a hot summer day in a closed car. Rule of thumb: If its too hot to handle, then you must let it cool off either 5 full minutes in front of a cold air conditioner vent, or let it cool off for 20 minutes in the shade. This rule of thumb applies in particular to the V1, STi, STi-R and 9500ci since all of them use LNAs which can cook if the RD is powered on when it is extremely hot.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK View Post
    Don't let the V1 (or any other RD for that matter) bake in sunlight on a hot summer day in a closed car. Rule of thumb: If its too hot to handle, then you must let it cool off either 5 full minutes in front of a cold air conditioner vent, or let it cool off for 20 minutes in the shade. This rule of thumb applies in particular to the V1, STi, STi-R and 9500ci since all of them use LNAs which can cook if the RD is powered on when it is extremely hot.
    Well, I hope driving in a car without tint under mid-to high 70s F outside temperature (the V1 isn't sitting in the vehicle prior to driving) is ok. It's feels pretty warm at that kind of weather, but not hot to touch. Don't worry though, I'll use front defrost so it gets cooled. Is 90F (outside) sounds like a good threshold to cool it or it's a little too hot?

Experienced

What about getting to cold? It's been -5.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by wegrowhair View Post
    What about getting to cold? It's been -5.
    I so envy that weather
    I am so sick of the 80 degree winters....

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by NeonSector View Post
    I so envy that weather
    I am so sick of the 80 degree winters....

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by wegrowhair View Post
    +1

Power User

Valentine One Specifications

Temperature Range:

Operating:
    -20°C to +70°C (-4°F to +158°F)

Storage:
    -30°C to +85°C (-22°F to +185°F)

Speedtrap Crasher

Edweird tested his V1 in his airconditioned house and found the operating temperature to be 120˚. That's pretty hot to the touch.
    Project "BONES" Speed Lab:
    Valentine One, Blinder M47 "All Front Configuration"
    Pro97 Police Scanner
    1 Saves / 3 Strikes as of 8/22/2009
    Estimated saves in U.S. Dollars: $200

Quote Originally Posted by slr_noob View Post
    Well, I hope driving in a car without tint under mid-to high 70s F outside temperature (the V1 isn't sitting in the vehicle prior to driving) is ok. It's feels pretty warm at that kind of weather, but not hot to touch. Don't worry though, I'll use front defrost so it gets cooled. Is 90F (outside) sounds like a good threshold to cool it or it's a little too hot?
    As long as the V1 isn't so hot that you can continuously keep your hand on its metal housing without your hand feeling like its getting burned, then you are good to go. An operational RD in direct sunlight within an air conditioned car during the summertime will feel very warm, but thats normal under these conditions. Basically an operating RD isn't too hot if you can continuously keep your hand on its case.

Extreme cold may initially cause a RD to fail its internal self calibration tests, but once the RD has warmed up due to its internally generated heat after being turned on for a while, then its self calibration will fall back into factory tolerances.

I am an advocate for not exposing RDs to either extreme heat or extreme cold. If you keep your RD in the car, at least put it inside some sort of padded case since the padding will insulate the RD from getting either too hot during the day or too cold at night. Yet with the extremely cold nights which a lot of us are experiencing, I would bring the RD inside once you get home.