Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lead Foot

Question One LEO, Two Types of Radar??

So had an interesting experience today with my V1. I had just finished having the V1 hardwired (high), which by the way is the only way to go, and was going through a local small city here in Birmingham. Now, I know for a fact that this city uses K band radar from previous encounters. Well, the V1 started alerting to Ka, and I started scanning for the source.....nothing. Ramp up was mid level. Kept going straight and K started alerting at the same time, all the way to full lock. At that point the Ka went away and I saw a LEO with a customer.

The K was constant on but the Ka was unexplained. Baffled I turned around and was going to see what range on the K I had and see if anything else was there I missed. When I came back, the customer was gone, but the LEO was still sitting there. The V1 was silent as I passed him. So, I turn around again, heading back toward him and bam, instant on K and Ka at the same time! When I passed the LEO I noticed that he was not alone, had someone else in the passenger seat with him.

So, I am wondering if they were playing with their cruiser mounted K and a Ka gun at the same time? Maybe this indicates that the department is switching out their radar to Ka units? Later today I passed through the same route and got another Ka alert from a cruiser which was only mid strength at a distance of only 100 feet from the cruiser. Maybe he had the same Ka gun and left it on the seat? Needless to say I was baffled, and this was my first instant on encounter. Can see why it is so deadly.

Old Timer

Default Re: One LEO, Two Types of Radar??

i no that some state police in NC have like an X antenna with a K band antenna? but idk about K and Ka

Lead Foot

I know for a fact that both radar sources where coming from the LEO,there were no other LEO's or K band signals in the area. Looked like both officers were having fun comparing the two. Don't know the logistics of putting two radar units in one cruiser though.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by crisptito View Post
    So had an interesting experience today with my V1. I had just finished having the V1 hardwired (high), which by the way is the only way to go, and was going through a local small city here in Birmingham. Now, I know for a fact that this city uses K band radar from previous encounters. Well, the V1 started alerting to Ka, and I started scanning for the source.....nothing. Ramp up was mid level. Kept going straight and K started alerting at the same time, all the way to full lock. At that point the Ka went away and I saw a LEO with a customer.

The K was constant on but the Ka was unexplained. Baffled I turned around and was going to see what range on the K I had and see if anything else was there I missed. When I came back, the customer was gone, but the LEO was still sitting there. The V1 was silent as I passed him. So, I turn around again, heading back toward him and bam, instant on K and Ka at the same time! When I passed the LEO I noticed that he was not alone, had someone else in the passenger seat with him.

So, I am wondering if they were playing with their cruiser mounted K and a Ka gun at the same time? Maybe this indicates that the department is switching out their radar to Ka units? Later today I passed through the same route and got another Ka alert from a cruiser which was only mid strength at a distance of only 100 feet from the cruiser. Maybe he had the same Ka gun and left it on the seat? Needless to say I was baffled, and this was my first instant on encounter. Can see why it is so deadly.
    I believe due to the close proximity to the radar guns in the patrol car and the microwave overload of them both being on that your v1 it just didn't report the frequencies properly is all.

Lead Foot

Maybe, but I am not sure. Sometimes the K and Ka signals would alternate like the LEO's were testing the two against each other. They were doing this in I/O mode. The detection I had later in the day was only Ka. So this leads me to believe there were two types of guns in the patrol car. I just didn't know if this was logistically possible. Wish I would have had my camera with me to take a video

Power User

Actually when you're at point blank facing a strong K band you get short blips of Ka band... it happens alot when I am sitting in front of the source.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by speed-demon View Post
    Actually when you're at point blank facing a strong K band you get short blips of Ka band... it happens alot when I am sitting in front of the source.
    That's what I was about to ask. It happened to me in the last couple days, but with K-band drones.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by speed-demon View Post

Good to know. Still think though that the LEO had two guns in the car. The instant on alternated back and forth from K to Ka and I was at a distance of probably 1000 feet. The close up encounter was only Ka band later in the day. It was weak and never alerted K.

At the Atlanta Jammerfest, those of us with V1's discovered that my really old Stalker ATR Ka gun produces a K band alert in addition to the expected Ka band alert. Thus it wouldn't suprise me if some old K band radar guns also produce a Ka band harmonic.

Power User

Sometimes the V1 will get a Ka ghosting from a K band ssource.