Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default My Not-So-Stealth Install

Hello gents. I've gotten a little stir crazy the last week or so and decided to re-arrange somethings in my vehicle. Previously I had two wires running from a single create-a-fuse up to the ceiling where my vehicle has a roof-mounted RVM and a little cavern around the mount. I put the hardwire kit for both the V1 and my rigged-up hardwire for my Garmin up in the cavern. Below you'll see what I've just done. Hopefully you like it.

By the way....I know my car is absolutely disgusting, I just can't bring myself to clean it until they're done salting the roads here. That crap gets EVERYWHERE.

Below is my car:
    *Removed due to license plate visibility*

Below is what my V1 and Garmin looked like BEFORE I started messing around:

Below is what my V1 and Garmin looked like AFTER I finished messing around:

A sharp eye will see that there is no change....Here is what I did in the middle. =)

First, I re-did my rigged up Garmin hardwire because I wasn't happy with the way I did it the first time. Below you can see the middle and after shot of that:

After that I made a ground junction so I could funnel all my ground wires into one. This PROBABLY wasn't a great idea....

I used this piece of plastic:

To create a switch panel seen here:

And added the switches....a few of which can be seen here:

I made some new power wires to run from my fuse box:

I attached said power wires to the switches on my panel like so:

I ran the ground wire for the switches next. Again, I used one continuous wire across all the switches. This probably is NOT a good idea. I wouldn't recommend following my lead.

I ran the 3 power wires, 1 ground wire, and 4 (so far) accessory wires from my new switch panel location (next to the E-Brake) forward to under the steering column.

Look at the following to see where the wires run:

I ran the phone cord and power cable for my V1 and Garmin down from the roof. I used my previous power and ground wire to pull them through. The Garmin wire wasn't long enough to get under the dash, though, so I had to hide it in the A-Frame as seen here:

The wires continued down the A-Frame and under the dash. Here is a rough pic of them coming down from behind the vents:

As I said before, I split up the 6 switches into 3 different fuse relays. Here you can see 2:

I spent 20-30 minutes making sense of all the wires, taping, grounding, and organizing....

You already saw what it looks like up top...the same. Here is my new switch panel:

And here is a picture just to prove I do indeed clean up after myself:

Here are a few pictures of the semi-final setup:

I've got a few hardcore redneck items on the way just because I thought it would be REALLY fun. Soon to come: PA speaker to mount under hood (CB powered) LED strobes/flashers to mount inside/beside headlights and taillights. Air Horn. (That's right, an air horn on a Honda) All part of my clever plan to get timid, slow, foolish drivers out of the way. On a side note, I got a SIRIUS Radio because Circuit City sucks at life. Please leave any constructive criticism as to how to make these pictures more explanatory or the process in itself more stepwise. I'm not sure if I can handle suggestions on how to change things I could've done better just yet....maybe next week. =)

-Rob
    Last edited by robcollins5; 04-08-2009 at 04:06 PM.

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: My Not-So-Stealth Install

Images don't work for me... sorry?

It says they have been 'moved or deleted'...

Speed Demon

Fixed. You were just a minute too early. =) Sorry. I put all the pictures in an album AFTER I Copy/Pasted the links. Woops.

-Rob

Old Timer

dam way to complicated for me to understand but very nice!

Speed Demon

Found out it's the Bluetooth capability of my Garmin that's causing the X-Band false alerts that I talked about in the I-Zoom thread. That's going to have to be moved....

As you saw in the pictures only the back 3 buttons are being used. (Even though 4 currently have power). Here is the final layout for what I'll have the buttons assigned to:

(FRONT OF CAR)
    1. "Emergency" Lights (eBay Motors: TR 2x22 LED Strobe Flashing Grill Light Emergency White (item 370141225563 end time Feb-05-09 21:07:43 PST))
    2. Laser Jammer
    3. Scanner (RS PRO 94)
    4. CB Radio
    5. Garmin GPS
    6. Valentine 1
    (BACK OF CAR)

I say "emergency" lights because they're obviously only going to be there for those times when I pull over to help damzels in distress. I would NEVER dream of using them as a deterrent to tailgaters or turtle racers. =)

For 44 views I'm a little surprised nobody has found a problem with some aspect of the install. Speak up?

Experienced

i think everyone's in awe? that's a pretty awesome setup, props!

Power User

Nice shoes...

Power User

I did virtually the same exact thing to my Garmin. I got so sick and tired of it taking up a ciggy lighter, I just hard wired it. I have not the foggiest idea why Garmin does not provide one.

The before and after pics are the same image, unless physics has changed, they will render the exact same. EVERY eye is going to notice no change.

I will give you props on a job well done.

Yoda of Radar

Very nice I think... I can see how blinding those lights are... wow.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by speed-dreams View Post
    Nice shoes...
    Haha I was thinking the same thing! They look so fluffy and warm... I want a pair.

BTW very nice install!