Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Amazing Ka alert range = 10.7 miles!

My wife & I were hauling westbound on I40 in the California desert a few days back. I was running my new V1 version 3.872 mounted on the passenger visor.

We made a gentle turn through a cut and got a weak Ka alert as we saw a big valley open up in front of us. It was a steady alert with one LED showing for signal strength and a slow "da-dit" sound for Ka.

I mentioned to my wife that for all we knew the source could be clear on the other side of that valley. We were 7.2 miles east of Ludlow when we first got the alert and it never stopped alerting as we continued west.

Sure enough, 3.5 miles west of Ludlow, we found the source. It was a California Highway Patrol vehicle parked facing the opposite way and the LEO was writing (very slowly apparently) a ticket. He was at the top of the rise on the far side of that valley!

Can anyone top this for extreme range?

Speedtrap Crasher

Default Re: Amazing Ka alert range = 10.7 miles!

I think that's the record Any longer might require video evidence.
    Project "BONES" Speed Lab:
    Valentine One, Blinder M47 "All Front Configuration"
    Pro97 Police Scanner
    1 Saves / 3 Strikes as of 8/22/2009
    Estimated saves in U.S. Dollars: $200

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
    I think that's the record Any longer might require video evidence.
    LOL. At the time I made the comment to my wife, I was only talking about the theoretical possibility. I had no idea it would turn out to be true!

By the way I was driving my C6 and had (of all things) a full sized Dodge pickup as my rabbit. He was really cooking along and from the way he wasn't reacting to radar alerts, my guess is he was running nakid. He was darn lucky the leo was already occupied and on the other side of the road!

Yoda of Radar

It's tough to know for sure what he was doing for 10 minutes. But, with nothing between you and him but air, it's totally possible.

I had what I think was about a 7 or 8 mile forward facing, repeated I/O detection in the exact same situation like you are describing. I got probably 10 different detections on I-15 north of Baker, in a huge, slowly sloping valley like the one you're talking about. When I finally found the source, the CHP cruiser was on the other side of the freeway, tagging cars as the came over the hill with his rear facing radar. The problem was that there was no way for me to know what he was doing for all that time between initial detection and when I finally saw him.

Speedzones got 10 miles detection range on just about every RD they tested in a wide open setting like this.

Last edited by tosi; 02-27-2009 at 09:47 AM.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by tosi View Post
    You guys out west are sooooooo spoiled, I'm happy when I get 3/4 of a mile warning....
    +1 ....and I'm not even in the mountains.

Yoda of Radar

I agree, out west all these detectors get cake alerts... anything over a mile is unreal where I live.

Almost Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore View Post
    I agree, out west all these detectors get cake alerts... anything over a mile is unreal where I live.
    precisely why I use the most sensitive dash mount living in the East Coast.

I agree with djrams80 though that part of that 10 miles he could've been driving in the same direction just out of site and didnt pull the person over until shortly before you approached.
    That would account for steady alert while you were driving as he wasnt really a full 10 miles away at that point of first alert. But anything is possible I guess.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by djrams80 View Post
    It's tough to know for sure what he was doing for 10 minutes. But, with nothing between you and him but air, it's totally possible.
    LOL! And you thought there was a 10 minute interval between the first alert and the final sighting because????

Actually due to the line of sight I had and the weak signal strength, not to mention my crazy Dodge truck rabbit, I kept right on keeping on most of the way. I didn't time it, but my average speed was well over 60 mph.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by RadarKid View Post
    I agree with djrams80 though that part of that 10 miles he could've been driving in the same direction just out of site and didnt pull the person over until shortly before you approached.
    That would account for steady alert while you were driving as he wasnt really a full 10 miles away at that point of first alert. But anything is possible I guess.
    That's a real possibility, except at the speeds I was running, I'd expect his signal strength to have increased even if he was going the same direction!